Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Nice work!

How come they went half and half pvc/wood? It sort of makes no sense to me because you are still dealing with staining the wood yearly and there's quite a bit of it.

Not criticizing, just wondering the rationale.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work!

How come they went half and half pvc/wood? It sort of makes no sense to me because you are still dealing with staining the wood yearly and there's quite a bit of it.

Not criticizing, just wondering the rationale.
No offence taken...

My understanding is that they wanted the cedar to tie in with the look of the screens I built at the back of the property I guess. This wasn't my design from the get go to be honest. I actually never met the owners until I had been on site for over a week.

With the kind of $$$$ these people have, I don't think that the cost of staining will be a big deal.

Also, the lady of the house likes the look of cedar, sooooo cedar it was :D

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Nice job, I hope the family dog does not come charging out the door and attempt to jump off the side of the deck:jester:. G

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice work, but what is to prevent the 1X flat down rails from warping & cupping like a bad dog?
Steve
If I knew what a "flat down rail" was, I might be able to answer your question...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Nice work, but what is to prevent the 1X flat down rails from warping & cupping like a bad dog?
Steve
I believe he's talking about the 1x handrail.
I dunno, looks like 2x6 cedar cap rail to me - w/ a max. 5' span...
Just don't let fat folks sit on it (unless they're centered over a post!!)

Nice looking project, man! Those TT Decklites, or another brand?

Mac

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,537 Posts
Very nice Terry.

I like the glass panels on the rails. How did you hold those in place?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts