Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rebelwopause
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my rudeness for not having posted some sort of intro sooner.... feel like I walked into a family room full of people and didnt even say hello or introduce myself....... I humbly apologize

Howdy, John here , 59 yr old ex New Yorker , was living a semi retired life as a musician in New Mexico , until 3 yrs ago, when I relocated to South Carolina, to assist my 35 yr old son in putting his residential electrical business on an updated , more profitable and professionally run course:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... so here I am , at almost 60, doing the job of being his one and only helper/employee , having given him my promise that on site /in presence of HO's and customers, GC's , Sub's etc. , his word is final, any input/ feedback I have to be given in private....sometimes not such an easy thing to do, being I am also his father:censored:.... Just wondering if any of you out there are in a similar situations, or have any feedback on same......would be very helpful for me to hear some different perspectives, so speak up ..... Thanks

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I have a similar experience only it was my dad that was my helper for the better part of six months in the mid eighties when i was a brand new GC with a new wife and kid.

He retired from the NY telephone company at the early age of 54. He was great. By far the best hand I ever had. He says that that role reversal was a great time in his life too. He was for the first time in my life just one of the guys. He really liked all my friends and they got a kick out of him. They never trusted me again when I told them a story of how much of a prick he was while I was growing up. I joked that he was just an old man trying to get into heaven.:laughing:

If I have anything to offer you with your situation it would be to enjoy yourself and be that employee that you always wanted for yourself. Let your boy come to you for advise when he is ready to hear it. Your presence will have him working hard for your approval, give it to him when he deserves it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hello Rebelwopause
Welcome to CT. Mount Pleasant is a good place to get your business started. One of the fastest growing and busiest areas in SC.
Good luck.

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
I have a similar experience only it was my dad that was my helper for the better part of six months in the mid eighties when i was a brand new GC with a new wife and kid.

He retired from the NY telephone company at the early age of 54. He was great. By far the best hand I ever had. He says that that role reversal was a great time in his life too. He was for the first time in my life just one of the guys. He really liked all my friends and they got a kick out of him. They never trusted me again when I told them a story of how much of a prick he was while I was growing up. I joked that he was just an old man trying to get into heaven.:laughing:

If I have anything to offer you with your situation it would be to enjoy yourself and be that employee that you always wanted for yourself. Let your boy come to you for advise when he is ready to hear it. Your presence will have him working hard for your approval, give it to him when he deserves it.
Awesome story and advice. That was a joy to read Gus.

·
rebelwopause
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Rebelwopause
Welcome to CT. Mount Pleasant is a good place to get your business started. One of the fastest growing and busiest areas in SC.
Good luck.
Thanks Sawdaddy.... thanks for the greets and welcome, trying my best to put this gr8 advice into practice, but guess I have no one but myself to blame for bringing him up to be so stubborn at times..... took me a long time to learn not to be the same way, and am trying to save him the time it took me to mellow... guess I just need to ride it out and "lead" by example... btw, we have some common ground, been a guitarist/singer for over 40 yrs... Hey there's an idea, perhaps I can sing him into a more mellow mindset.....lol..... Take Care

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sounds like you've got the right idea.
Just remember that patience and wisdom comes with time. He'll mellow out eventually.

Put some Pink Floyd on the jukebox.:thumbup1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts