Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of finishing a full basement reno that included a new bathroom with custom tile shower, tile floor, nice toilet, urinal, nice vanity - and tile on all the walls. Tile looks awesome - used 2x2 mosaic as a border in the tile and also around the vanity mirror.

Heres the problem...Customer wants me to install a mirror he took out of his grandmas house - 48x30 with "cut" designs (scroll work and flowers) that show that it is an old tacky mirror.

Here is my problem - everything else looks really good - except for this old tacky mirror. Would it be "wrong" to have an accident when I install this mirror?? (I will even pay for the new one!!)

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I am in the process of finishing a full basement reno that included a new bathroom with custom tile shower, tile floor, nice toilet, urinal, nice vanity - and tile on all the walls. Tile looks awesome - used 2x2 mosaic as a border in the tile and also around the vanity mirror.

Heres the problem...Customer wants me to install a mirror he took out of his grandmas house - 48x30 with "cut" designs (scroll work and flowers) that show that it is an old tacky mirror.

Here is my problem - everything else looks really good - except for this old tacky mirror. Would it be "wrong" to have an accident when I install this mirror?? (I will even pay for the new one!!)
If you don't want to install it tell the client, but don't intentionally damage the clients property, it may have sentimental value and very important to your client.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Yea, I would not intentionally have an "accident" with the customer's property. There is no accounting for taste. Unless the h/o is asking you for design advice, take your pictures before the mirror is installed, install the mirror and be on your way.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Is this the guy that likes "herb" for lunch? If so, wait until he's had his lunch, and then toss the mirror (glass facing him) at him. He'll flip out and drop it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
88 Posts
that is hilarious! My humble opinion he pays and wants it up, oh well. U can suggest to pay, like u said for a brand new one and put it up. Without getting your hands dirty and that on your conscious. I'm sure he'd like that.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Sometimes you bite your tongue and keep your mouth shut. You've got to give your customer what they want.

There's no accounting for taste.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Sometimes you bite your tongue and keep your mouth shut. You've got to give your customer what they want.

There's no accounting for taste.
I have felt like that on the last two kitchens I did....I know I,or someone else could have helped them pick things that would have made it it look better.A LOT better..But sometimes people have something set in their minds eye and that all there is to it.
A kitchen that I did last year the lady had a sample of granite she had been holding on to for FIVE years..She was going to use it regardless of the other things she went with...

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
There was a man on a subway train with his children. He obviously didn't care about disciplining his children since they were bouncing off the walls and irritating everyone else on the subway. The father sat unconcerned.

A by stander finally got up after getting to the end of his rope.

"Do you think you could do something about your children? What kind of father are you to let them run around like this and harass everyone" the man exclaimed in an irritating voice.

"Oh....I'm sorry. They are having a hard time with their mother. She just died in the hospital. I'm not sure myself what to do"

You have no problem.

Don't be an ass, put the mirror in. It's in the basement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There was a man on a subway train with his children. i like that story I remember hearing that in Chicken soup for the soul.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There was a man on a subway train with his children. He obviously didn't care about disciplining his children since they were bouncing off the walls and irritating everyone else on the subway. The father sat unconcerned.

A by stander finally got up after getting to the end of his rope.

"Do you think you could do something about your children? What kind of father are you to let them run around like this and harass everyone" the man exclaimed in an irritating voice.

"Oh....I'm sorry. They are having a hard time with their mother. She just died in the hospital. I'm not sure myself what to do"

You have no problem.

Don't be an ass, put the mirror in. It's in the basement.
Nice paradigm ,and the Covey book was a good read but have a look at "Who moved my cheese?

·
Registered
618 Posts
That is a unprofessional ass right there even thinking of that. The customer paid you hard earned money to make their home the way they the customer wants it. Pretty simple, you let anything happen to that mirror...you will have "blood" on your hands...that customer will never forget it, may sue you in small claims court, and will forever black list you to whoever they know as you negligently or caliously destroyed/broke his/her grandma's mirror.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hang the mirror with one hand...pull the check out of the guys hand with the other and say thank you.....go home...The End..:thumbsup:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
As everyone has said, they are paying for your services. That service is to hang their mirror whether you think it is ugly or not. What are they going to do, not like it and pay you to remove it and put something else up? Job security IMO. As far as it being "ugly" and no less being sentimentle in value you may be surprised of the actual value of such a peice. The damn thing may cost more than what you made on the whole job. Sounds like your taste can get expensive real fast if you have an "accident".

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
no accounting for taste here is a purple and green basement bath.
Taste?I'll show you taste...This is from a job I was working on before I went out on my own...I will never forget this place...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts