Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
WICKED WOODCHUCKER
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just let all my guys go the end of last week. Working by myself for awile. Went to the shop at 3 am pulled a van over to the overhead door and started loading up with tools. took me a couple hours. I wanted to make sure I didnt forget anything!! Got to the job site and started to set up. I forgot a work table, o well I'll just use saw horses, ooops forgot those too. OK working off the ground now. Need a spade bit, u guessed it didint have one. Missing a caulk gun, nails for my finish gun, didnt have the house wrap I was suppose to bring or the roofing nails. Long story short I forgot a whole bunch of stuff. Went to the shop 3 times the hardware store twice and finally called it a day at 2pm. Hopefully 2marrow will be a better day. :thumbsup:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
So I just let all my guys go the end of last week. Working by myself for awile. Went to the shop at 3 am pulled a van over to the overhead door and started loading up with tools. took me a couple hours. I wanted to make sure I didnt forget anything!! Got to the job site and started to set up. I forgot a work table, o well I'll just use saw horses, ooops forgot those too. OK working off the ground now. Need a spade bit, u guessed it didint have one. Missing a caulk gun, nails for my finish gun, didnt have the house wrap I was suppose to bring or the roofing nails. Long story short I forgot a whole bunch of stuff. Went to the shop 3 times the hardware store twice and finally called it a day at 2pm. Hopefully 2marrow will be a better day. :thumbsup:
So...why did you let your guys go? You weren't happy, or you were forced to downsize? I hope you didn't say F you guys I can do this myself......Perhaps it broke your heart letting the fellas go.

Please don't take offense, but I'm grinning a little....I have an inkling, if my employer did the same he wouldn't know where to start (Rusty). Chalk one up for the employees!

·
Pro
682 Posts
I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many times I have put "everything" I needed in the truck only to find that I missed something. The other week I got to a job and I had no tape measure. I had 5 but for some reason none were in my pouch or the truck, now I have 6.

Bill

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many times I have put "everything" I needed in the truck only to find that I missed something. The other week I got to a job and I had no tape measure. I had 5 but for some reason none were in my pouch or the truck, now I have 6.

Bill
Have you ever noticed tape measures,speed squares,razor knives and pencils "elope" together?

·
Registered
440 Posts
JT, theres a blackhole behind the front seat of my truck. Don't be alarmed, it has a very specific gravitational field and only sucks tape measures, speed squares, razor knives and pencils into another dimension. Now you know.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
JT, theres a blackhole behind the front seat of my truck. Don't be alarmed, it has a very specific gravitational field and only sucks tape measures, speed squares, razor knives and pencils into another dimension. Now you know.
Although I can't confirm it Husqy I beleive a simular vortex exists in my shop/garage area.

And several mini versions in tool bags.

What adds to the phenomenon is occasionally thay all re appear if not but for a breif moment ALL together.

EEERRRIIIEEEE!!!!!!!:w00t:

·
Registered
440 Posts
What I'd really like to know is what happens to those bottles of 2 stroke mix? I bought a case of 50 last month for 5 gallon gas cans. I got 3 left. I know my chainsaw and weed eater didn't burn through 235 gallons of gas in a month. Where the hell do they go??? Same thing with bar oil, how is it I can buy a case of 12, use one, then the other 11 disappear? How does that work?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What I'd really like to know is what happens to those bottles of 2 stroke mix? I bought a case of 50 last month for 5 gallon gas cans. I got 3 left. I know my chainsaw and weed eater didn't burn through 235 gallons of gas in a month. Where the hell do they go??? Same thing with bar oil, how is it I can buy a case of 12, use one, then the other 11 disappear? How does that work?
Is it possible your tools have a drinking problem and sneak a nip while your not looking? :laughing:

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
OP, sorry to hear about having to let your guys go. It's one of the toughest parts of being an employer.

OTOH, my wife could make some serious book taking bets on how many times I'll run back into the house or shop before leaving the driveway.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I feel your pain, I seriously have to start making checklists. Now that I'm doing a reno at my place at night I'm constantly leaving tools in my work van, my SUV, home or the shop. If I forget one thing I have to send two people out to two different locations and call home and have the misses look around for the "thing-a-ma-bob or the dooh-hickey."

Most of the time its faster to just buy what I'm missing...but I never only buy one I get a case because I will always need more...then proceed to use one and loose the rest of the case.

Have you ever noticed tape measures,speed squares,razor knives and pencils "elope" together?
Pencils, sharpies, tapes and my coffee. Nothing worse then being on a job with 10K of tools in your vehicle and not a darn pencil to be found.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I feel your pain, I seriously have to start making checklists. Now that I'm doing a reno at my place at night I'm constantly leaving tools in my work van, my SUV, home or the shop. If I forget one thing I have to send two people out to two different locations and call home and have the misses look around for the "thing-a-ma-bob or the dooh-hickey."

Most of the time its faster to just buy what I'm missing...but I never only buy one I get a case because I will always need more...then proceed to use one and loose the rest of the case.

Pencils, sharpies, tapes and my coffee. Nothing worse then being on a job with 10K of tools in your vehicle and not a darn pencil to be found.
You OBVIOUSLY don't have the feature that fuses it to your hand until you have consumed a preset number of cups. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
What gets me is I have a full size van with shelving and roll out units. And a 12' trailer with shelving etc. Think I have everything but the kitchen sink in there, and still I am missing something!! Funniest one was I bought a new finish nailer and didn't even realize I had a brand new identical one in the shop. I must be loosin it.

I too have 6 tape measures :whistling

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Not quite as bad but when i got to work i found that the homeowner had primed and painted the drywall in the bathroom i was doing before i got a chance to sand it. God forbid they read the note that says ready to paint monday night. Needless to say semi gloss paint brings out every defect. :furious:

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
And a side note how did you fair with all the storms the last few days WNYcarpenter? I heard catt county got hit real hard, we got some wind and about 6 inches of rain from sat night til tonight but no substantial dmg.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I have most everything in my truck except the stuff I need for the job I'm doing.

It also never fails that the thing you just tossed in the garbage after holding onto it for 2 years is always needed the next day.

Construction business.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts