Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a have a recess light on ceiling in the small hallway and i like to know if i get power from there for a chandelier in my next bedroom that light is controlled by single pole swicth? or can i get the power from a recptacle to my switch and ground + neutral from the same oulet to my chandelier? does any one has a picture there i can use or any idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A bit concerned

izote61 said:
a have a recess light on ceiling in the small hallway and i like to know if i get power from there for a chandelier in my next bedroom that light is controlled by single pole swicth? or can i get the power from a recptacle to my switch and ground + neutral from the same oulet to my chandelier? does any one has a picture there i can use or any idea.
Anytime starts a sentence with "is it safe" I get concerned, but at least you are asking.
Yes it can be made safe but it is also a questionable accepted/legal method for obtaining power for your chandelier.
Getting power at the outlet is preffered, but grabbing it at the recessed light is achievable in a pinch. Just make sure that you are following all grounding and protection procedures. In other words, do it as you know a professional would do.

If you have a hot wire (one that isn't switched) at your recessed light, you are good to go.
Hot and neutral from the recessed light goes to the chandelier location. From the chandelier location take the hot down to the switch location and return to the chandelier location with the switch leg. Bingo.
Of course it is easier said than done.
If you need a picture to understand the concept, perhaps you should be rethinking your project until you do a bit more research and feel comfortable with the task.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
AND... I'd bet the original poster 5 bucks that there's no hot wire in that recessed light. Just a switched hot, I'm betting. Seldom does anyone ever run switch loops to recessed lights, cuz the J box is so small and that's just weird anyhow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnak you mister shunk

that is what i discovered today is a switched hot, so i took power from a receptacle. thnak you very much for your inside you really are the master. alwzys thank you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Even if there is an unswitched hot up in a recess light j-box, the size of the j-box would most likely prevent you from adding another cable to run your tap. Box fill and all. I am glad you found another source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts