Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I completed a two story home addition project for a client this year. Since the homeowner was on a budget I had the contract list the first floor finished and the upstairs bathroom left in rough condition. Contract was signed. A verbal agreement was made and a second contract submitted to finish the upstairs bathroom.

Now the homeowner is starting to bring in other contractors saying that I am too expensive to do the finish work in the upstairs bathroom, which is a kick to me because he got freebies completed downstairs as a favor to try and keep the project on budget.

He has also tried approaching my subs directly to get the work done. Thankfully all of my subs are very loyal and told me what was going on at the site.

My question is do I just cancel the permit for the project, or do I tell him I need to transfer the permit to him or the other contractors he brings in. I already told him over the phone I do not want the responsibility of anyone else doing work under the permit that I pulled for this project.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Go to building dept, close permit, tell him the story, tell homeowner permit is closed new contractor needs to get permit. Very easy happens frequently.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
One time I signed a contract to do a roof, pulled the permit, dropped it off when I got my deposit a few days before scheduled to do the job. The day before the ho canceled, so I brought a check back to here on the day we were supposed to do the work and an uninsured contractor was doing the roof under my permit. I called code enforcement and told them to cancel and to get over there asap. The guys got ticketed and a stop work order on the roof (already torn off) so the ho calls me to ask if I would come finish the roof. I told her to fvck off.

So I don't know how it works in your town but comp is done by the permit here. If the permit is in your name and someone gets hurt on that job you're liable. Atleast that's my interpretation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts