Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting in a kitchen / remodel / flood restoration project, and we are putting in a new island, change in the design from the old wet kitchen. I know that a island needs to have plug in it, but I thought if it is over so long (like 4'), it needs 2? My supervisor tells me I am crazy! The island is 9' long and the standard 2' deep. Can someone help me out on this one?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use http://tasklighting.com/ angled receptacles in most of my kitchen remodels. They are a great up-sell and I always have a sample to show clients during the design stage. They are perfect for islands, tucked under the counter-top overhang.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the past, I have used the Task Lighting strips as well, and think that they do a fine job! This is a very close budget project, and he (supervisor) wants to save $15! More for his commission check! LOL

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Griz, I agree, NOT MY ISSUE with his greed!

I was, and ONLY looking for some in-put on the issue! I have been a carpenter for 35 years, on my own for many years as well, and currently work for some-one now, getting older and don't need the 16 hour days! I am not a "homeowner" looking for info, just asking for some input to be safe, and try to be with-in the codes, even though there is now plan/permit pulled on the project! Sorry to be firm here, had a BAD DAY!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
NEC 2010 210 52 C says islands must have at least 1. In California, if you break the island up with a sink or range, you need to have one for each area. Includes restrictions if there's an overhang, etc. Don't know PA's code. An AHJ here made us put in 2 in a smallish, undivided island.

A 9-foot island sure ought to have more than 1.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Griz, I agree, NOT MY ISSUE with his greed!

I was, and ONLY looking for some in-put on the issue! I have been a carpenter for 35 years, on my own for many years as well, and currently work for some-one now, getting older and don't need the 16 hour days! I am not a "homeowner" looking for info, just asking for some input to be safe, and try to be with-in the codes, even though there is now plan/permit pulled on the project! Sorry to be firm here, had a BAD DAY!
I was actually laughing out loud at this. If you want to get ONLY an answer to the question you asked, you couldn't pick a worse place to be than C.T..:laughing:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob, You made my day! C.T. members have LOTS and LOTS of knowledge, THAT is the reason for the post! As for the codes, it is split with a sink bowl, and counter on both sides, as we sort-a know!
I do know that in PA ya need one for sure, just need someone with the PA knowledge/codes to help out I guess! LOL Thanks for the help, TIME for a brew!!!
Dave

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Dave, all you need to know is that anywhere along the length of a kitchen counter that you can set an appliance, there has to be an outlet within two feet. That includes islands.

Bob's right; you need two.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
A few AHJ's around here amended their code to require 1 every 4 square feet. You must also comply with 210.52(C) 5 Exception to (5) & (2).

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts