Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to place my outlets in a convenient by inconspicuous place on an island. I'll need two for this island and they will be on opposite ends. The overhang on the corbel side will be about 12", on the adjacent side will only be 1"

Can I place it here, on the edge, under the sitting area overhang ?

I don't want to make a hole I can't use and have to redo the panel(s)

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
Per 210.52(C)(5) Exception to (5), you must place the outlet within 12" of the top surface and within 6" of the edge of the top. The top cannot extend more than 6" over the receptacle.

The above assumes your AHJ is governed by the NEC and there have been no changes by amendment.

Tom

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,288 Posts
With that location, will a 2' cord allow you to reach it from all the usable (linearly) counter space in that area? It's getting a sink, yes?

NEC doesn't specify that you have to be able to reach the front edge of the counter with that 2'; just the measurement along the "rear" edge.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's getting a sink. Island is 9' long. Sink is offset from the middle. Not sure a 2' cord would reach all useable areas.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,288 Posts
Just make sure that you rotate the appliance so its cord grommet is closest to the outlet. :jester:

If it gets an inspection, call the guy and ask. Otherwise, I'd go with it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Leo, But how are you going to hide the box in the open cabinet area? Don't ya all just love the code, the practical, and the common sense thing? Opps I forgot the DESIGN thing! LOL

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's going to have a MW in there. And if you can see it I'll put some kind of a cover in there. That's the smaller problem. I don't worry about those.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not? The look like they are specifically designed to be. They are watertight when closed. At least the circular pop up ones.

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts
The NEC has not caught up with the new products. Surface outlets are not allowed.

Tom

2011 NEC 406.5

406.5 Receptacle Mounting. Receptacles shall be mounted in boxes or assemblies designed for the purpose, and such boxes or assemblies shall be securely fastened in place unless otherwise permitted elsewhere in this Code.

406.5 (E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.
The key words here is in"the face up position"It does not say you can't have Pop up receptacles .:thumbsup:

·
GC/carpenter
44,137 Posts
HARRY304E said:
The key words here is in"the face up position"It does not say you can't have Pop up receptacles .:thumbsup:
But what if the pop up receptacles are face up? Just checked out the link it looks to Be at an angle

1 - 20 of 80 Posts