Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Ford F350 diesel brand new a few years ago, and it has had three major failures since I bought it. Serious stuff that the warantee covered, but what a disappointment it has been. Now they say My radiator needs to be replaced for only $900. That will be the fourth major problem. the other three were much more serious. What a piece of junk, and fighting with Ford to fix the issues is way too much. NEVER again. what do you drive for a super duty, and how do you like it.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
I bought my Ford F350 diesel brand new a few years ago, and it has had three major failures since I bought it. Serious stuff that the warantee covered, but what a disappointment it has been. Now they say My radiator needs to be replaced for only $900. That will be the fourth major problem. the other three were much more serious. What a piece of junk, and fighting with Ford to fix the issues is way too much. NEVER again. what do you drive for a super duty, and how do you like it.

http://ohiolemonlaw.blogspot.com/2007/10/fords-dumb-diesels.html

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
2006 F350 DRW King Ranch 6.0

LOVE IT! Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Good luck with your quest to find a vehicle that doesn't ever break.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Thats why I have the old school GM 6.5 mechanical injection diesel with the 4L80E transmission.

A friend had a 06 ford with the 6.0, he liked it but he didnt have it long before he died.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Last Ford I bought was a piece of junk. It was barely 5 years old. Replaced the throttle body, then the alternator, then a cylinder ring went bad. After I had the engine replaced and the warranty ended on that, one of the spark plugs popped out. I found out that when they installed it, they crossed the threads and it was maybe in about 2 turns. Screwed it back in as well as possible and drove it to the dealer and traded it in.

At first they wouldn't pay off what I owed, but after they asked me if I would give them an outstanding review on a survey about the sales experience and I told them no. They suddenly changed their mind about the amount they would give me for the trade it. Apparently they get a big bonus if I say they did outstanding. By this time it was late and the dealership was closed. I gave them the key and they just drove it around back. Never tested it or anything.

Oh yeah... they didn't get an outstanding on the survey. I also found out a few days later they forgot to charge me $1,200 for an option. The sales guy told me he got chewed out for that one.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Like any vehicle you can have problems. If you bought it from new then at least your covered but it's still hassle when things go wrong. A engine is just one of them high maintenance thing especially a diesel. Thats the only problem with owing one, other than fuel price. The Power strokes are known for being a very good engine and even more so than the cummins variants but it's the luck of the draw. Some guys just end up with a bad engine due to either a dealership not doing their job properly or a just unlucky build. They are still rated as the number 1 in truck reliability and have more trucks on the road than any other brand. They must be doing something right.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
the 6.0 Ford Diesel is junk, the newer one is a little better, you can thank the EPA for that.

I have a 2000 F250 Super Duty with a 5.4 liter gas engine, over 206,000 miles on it and no major problems.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Got an 05 f250 superduty. She's never failed to do what I ask of her. I've pulled a heavy loaded 18' cargo trailer 40,000 of the 90,000 on the odometer. No complaints. My next truck will be another Ford.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
The first 6.0L would bow the injectors out, I guess they fixed that. The new diesel ford is putting in the trucks sounds like a nice engine.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
The first 6.0L would bow the injectors out, I guess they fixed that. The new diesel ford is putting in the trucks sounds like a nice engine.
The 2 big issues with the 6.0 were head gaskets and the EGR system.

Navistar, in their infinite wisdom, decided it didn't need as many head bolt as the previous engine, 7.3. Under stress, the heads can lift and actually stretch the head bolts. That issue was never really fixed. Ford redesigned the head bolts but the real fix is to install aftermarket head studs.

The EGR system can become dirty and clog up. There's an EGR cooler that's prone to failure. The fix has been to remove the EGR system (illegal) but there is now an aftermarket cooler fix for this too.

I don't tow a horse trailer up 9° grades nor do I allow my truck to sit an idle extensively. Those 2 things on a completely stock 6.0, along with regular maintenance are enough to keep my truck running fine. Once my warranty is up, I'll spend the $2800 to get the truck studded and the cooler replaced. At that point, I will have no worries.

Should I have to spend that kind of money for what are essentially design flaws? No. Will I glad spend it for what I believe to be the best overall truck made? Yes.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Aren't the new one's, 6.4 twin turbo's fords own engine now? Plus I think they are getting horrible milage because of all the extra's with the exhaust sytem, GO EPA!!!

There was not much better of an engine than the 7.3 powerstroke's from liike 99 on.

nope still international

the 6.7 single turbo for 2011 is fords in house diesel

the 7.3 powerstroke made by international was from 1994 - 2002
although some idi's (indirect injection)were still being made 1994 too

6.0 was from 2003 -2007 (international made too)

·
I like Green things
23,068 Posts
nope still international

the 6.7 single turbo for 2011 is fords in house diesel

the 7.3 powerstroke made by international was from 1994 - 2002
although some idi's (indirect injection)were still being made 1994 too

6.0 was from 2003 -2007 (international made too)
I had a 94 Turbo diesel with an auto. You could get the PowerStroke with a 5 speed.

I meant the Best of the 7.3's were from 99 on, at least by my opinon.

6.0 was the worst, heard nothing but problems.

6.4 horrible fuel milage.

6.7 is fords baby, well we will see.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Ford IMO hasnt had a decent diesel since the 7.3 and this is why i went with GM. I would drive a GM Duramax "i own two of them" or Dodge Cummins before i went with a Ford. Now, Ford is coming out with their own diesel engine finally in 2011 and that truck is the the one i am waiting for. However i wont buy one until 2012 so they can get the bugs worked out of it. I will say that i have always been a Ford man all of my life and i love the body style, the option packages and IMO they have the best worktruck capabilities of any truck out there but for now the Duramax is my choice of diesel. The Cummins i will say is very reliable, has the best fuel milage and is the cleanest burning diesel on our roads today.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a later model 2004 6.0 with 110,000 miles with no problems.
I got into a wreck and totaled it ,or else would of had it forever. Now i have a 2008 6.4 and no major problem, but only get about 11-12 mpg. Would always purchase a ford truck.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
I dont know why you guys like ford so much, I wouldnt mind having a older one like a 97 but the newer trucks after the body change suck. The outsode looks fine but the dash is to big cramping up the inside and the passenger side has that hump in the floor. I rode with a freind up north for about 4 hours in his 01 f350, I wanted to torch the thing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
09 F450 with only 1000 miles on it, but I will say it is the nicest truck I have ever driven. I wouldn't wish a 6.0 on anyone, and have had friends who have had problems, and others that love them. THe 6.4 is a pig on fuel, but I don't go far, so mileage isn't a huge concern. I have owned 2 7.3's, and wish I still had them. EPA = FAIL. Also have 2 5.4 gassers, and have never had a problem with either one of them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts