Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Using the logic of "well its going to be kicked" you may as well tear out all the framing and put block in there.

For this application, a good quality thin set will work fine. Sure a porcelain or hard ceramic tile would be best but even a lightweight 6x6 will do just fine. Its a home and a dry area. Over constructing something to avoid abuse is wasteful. If a foot goes through it, that would take significant force and a contractor is not responsible for abuse. No matter how durable you build it, it could be broken under abusive situations. Don't over build and charge extra to do it. You think that makes a HO happy?
My customers would rather pay me to over build than to one day find a hole in it. Besides more often than not I do what I'm satisfied with not the HO and I can sleep at night.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You really think one day it will actually get kicked that hard? Do what your customers like by all means. I don't know how much force it would take to kick a hole in it but likely a bunch. Also cost alot less to repair than surgery on a broken foot? I would install the tile in that situation and sleep well at night knowing 1. I didn't add unnecessarily add to the landfill and 2. The tile will NEVER get a hole kicked in it. and 3. My customer would have more of their hard earned $ where it belongs and me not in their home any longer than needed. And likely in my wallet in the future. But then again you don't have to make any of my warranty calls. You know its working on "remodeled" homes I hate the worst because someone has come through and glued and nailed the chit of everything making it "better" and not sticking to what works. In the case the OP mentioned the drywall is fine. And backer boards for a backsplash? Geesh come on. Guess ya shouldn't use mastic either huh.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Using the logic of "well its going to be kicked" you may as well tear out all the framing and put block in there.

For this application, a good quality thin set will work fine. Sure a porcelain or hard ceramic tile would be best but even a lightweight 6x6 will do just fine. Its a home and a dry area. Over constructing something to avoid abuse is wasteful. If a foot goes through it, that would take significant force and a contractor is not responsible for abuse. No matter how durable you build it, it could be broken under abusive situations. Don't over build and charge extra to do it. You think that makes a HO happy?
Overconstructing is never wasteful.

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
I figure it would be about as tough as a greenboard shower, maybe more so with the 6x6's.

Edit: Next time I demo one, I plan on kicking it first. (Hope I don't break my foot.)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I could agree on over building some things, typically where safety is involved, but in this particular situation not so much. Its a simple drywall wall under a countertop for crying out loud. A person would have to rear back and let loose a good kick to damage it. Now wet areas or anything in a bathroom or on a floor sure by all means you need to reinforce.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Heck, I am new around here. Maybe I been doing it all wrong for the last 20 years. I'll just start overbuilding now and maybe I can pay for college for my girls with the proceeds.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
You really think one day it will actually get kicked that hard? Do what your customers like by all means. I don't know how much force it would take to kick a hole in it but likely a bunch. Also cost alot less to repair than surgery on a broken foot? I would install the tile in that situation and sleep well at night knowing 1. I didn't add unnecessarily add to the landfill and 2. The tile will NEVER get a hole kicked in it. and 3. My customer would have more of their hard earned $ where it belongs and me not in their home any longer than needed. And likely in my wallet in the future. But then again you don't have to make any of my warranty calls. You know its working on "remodeled" homes I hate the worst because someone has come through and glued and nailed the chit of everything making it "better" and not sticking to what works. In the case the OP mentioned the drywall is fine. And backer boards for a backsplash? Geesh come on. Guess ya shouldn't use mastic either huh.
Who knows better your customer or you? Who knows what kind of abuse it will get, if my work is abused and holds up that's great. I could care less about their broken foot or the landfill. I'll get more work from my jobs holding up than from saving them money at the expense of not building it as well.

What you get warranty calls on your work? Don't know what that's like, I've never had a callback in 25 years.

And no I never use mastic.

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
Who knows better your customer or you? Who knows what kind of abuse it will get, if my work is abused and holds up that's great. I could care less about their broken foot or the landfill. I'll get more work from my jobs holding up than from saving them money at the expense of not building it as well.

What you get warranty calls on your work? Don't know what that's like, I've never had a callback in 25 years.

And no I never use mastic.
Sure, but the likelihood of a callback on this job being done over drywall is about zero, too. It's not a substandard job to do it over drywall. If anything, mention the "concern" to the client and see if they want to pay more to beef it up. Then sleep at night either way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I get tons of call backs from my customers. And their friends and family.:thumbsup:

Sounds like you may be one that just does it better than everyone else. That's fine with me. I still have a few checks to take to the bank in the morning.

Whats wrong with mastic? It has its place. Never tile any dry areas? Sure, some use it in the wrong place but that's not mastics fault.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Sure, but the likelihood of a callback on this job being done over drywall is about zero, too. It's not a substandard job to do it over drywall. If anything, mention the "concern" to the client and see if they want to pay more to beef it up. Then sleep at night either way.

No it's not a substandard job if done right over drywall, personally I wouldn't do overkill but I would still reinforce it in some manner.

My customers will always say" Do whatever you think is best" Most of the time I don't even ask, I'll tell them what I did and they will agree with my decision.

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
No it's not a substandard job if done right over drywall, personally I wouldn't do overkill but I would still reinforce it in some manner.

My customers will always say" Do whatever you think is best" Most of the time I don't even ask, I'll tell them what I did and they will agree with my decision.
Fair enough. But you know what? If we were to actually get to see this job and gauge the customer, we'd probably end up doing it in the same manner. I wouldn't bet against that, anyway.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I get tons of call backs from my customers. And their friends and family.:thumbsup:

Sounds like you may be one that just does it better than everyone else. That's fine with me. I still have a few checks to take to the bank in the morning.

Whats wrong with mastic? It has its place. Never tile any dry areas? Sure, some use it in the wrong place but that's not mastics fault.
When you say callbacks, I'm referring to callbacks as in going back to fix screw ups.

Never said I do it the best, just to the best of my abilities. You're making the impression that everything you know is the only way while everyone else's opinion is wrong.

No all my tile jobs are underwater, I just don't like mastic.

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
When you say callbacks, I'm referring to callbacks as in going back to fix screw ups.

Never said I do it the best, just to the best of my abilities. You're making the impression that everything you know is the only way while everyone else's opinion is wrong.

No all my tile jobs are underwater, I just don't like mastic.
He knew what you meant, as did the rest of us. And we may have even thought that you were saying that your way was the only right way, etc.....

Enjoy the evening!

·
Registered
242 Posts

I figured as much. Looks like you didn't catch the joke. ALL of my work is generated through word of mouth and my website. So as you know call backs are unacceptable as Id like to stay gainfully employed without spending all my money trying to wrangle new suckers.

Not busting your balls on how you build. Most that are here obviously care about what they do. As a matter of fact I always keep an open mind on a new possible way to speed it up or make it better.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts

I figured as much. Looks like you didn't catch the joke. ALL of my work is generated through word of mouth and my website. So as you know call backs are unacceptable as Id like to stay gainfully employed without spending all my money trying to wrangle new suckers.

Not busting your balls on how you build. Most that are here obviously care about what they do. As a matter of fact I always keep an open mind on a new possible way to speed it up or make it better.
No I didn't catch the joke I thought you were freakin serious.:laughing:

I've never advertised either in 25 years, no website, no name on my truck, nothing except business cards. I have a hard time saying "That's good enough", my name is on it. I get annoyed when someone doesn't want to do something the way I want it done. I have a habit of taking an extra step just for piece of mind.

The only thing I have is my reputation.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts