Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I'm installing this new bathtub in a house and upon removal of the old tub I found this electrical wire under it . Is this up to code or should the wire be run through holes in the studs? Also this wire leads to a socket in the bedroom which shares a wall with the bathroom. Should that socket be a GFCI since it is so close to the water source or it can just be a normal socket?
I'm working in Suffolk County , NY if that matters.
I'd appreciate any help.Thanks.

Attachments

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,095 Posts
No need to run the wire through the studs, though having it flopping around loose like that isn't best practice. No need for a GFCI in a different room on the other side of the wall.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
44,213 Posts
The wire needs to be secured at minimum. It that is an unused portion of the house, ie: crawlspace, it probably doesn't need to go into the studs. But it sure is sloppy practice to do it that way.

You run wires on the joist in a ceiling all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Is the tub going back in that same spot?
Yes the new tub is going in the same place. I think I will run it through the studs anyway just to minimize the risk. The guy that removed the old tub almost hit the wire with the saw while he was cutting the tub.

Thanks for you help guys.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
You have to go through what 5 studs, turn off power unhock the electrical outlet and drill a couple holes and run it through the studs should take what 10 minutes?
OTOH, around here it would take a licensed electrician to do that. You can cover it with channel if you're worried about protection. I'd leave it just the way it is.

The demo issue is the same when you open up a wall - you can cut through wires and pipes. The install isn't the problem, it's the guy with the tool.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
44,213 Posts
OTOH, around here it would take a licensed electrician to do that. You can cover it with channel if you're worried about protection. I'd leave it just the way it is.

The demo issue is the same when you open up a wall - you can cut through wires and pipes. The install isn't the problem, it's the guy with the tool.
Shhhhh.... no one will know.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts

I'm not sure where in ny he is, but here any insured contractor is allowed to work on old work, just can't run new feeds, and that's just in the city. Outside of the city as long as you're insured you can do whatever you want.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,095 Posts
You have to go through what 5 studs, turn off power unhock the electrical outlet and drill a couple holes and run it through the studs should take what 10 minutes?
OTOH, there's no need to waste that 10 minutes. Slap a couple of staples in to make sure it stays where it belongs, and with the new tub in place it'll be just as well protected as if it was behind drywall.

Better, even. Not too many folks drive a nail to hang a picture in their tub. :laughing:

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
I'm not sure where in ny he is, but here any insured contractor is allowed to work on old work, just can't run new feeds, and that's just in the city. Outside of the city as long as you're insured you can do whatever you want.
Something about licensing, I'm sure. Up here, it gets pretty specific, there's Master's licenses that allow you to do 1-2 family, but not multifamily....

I'm probably allowed to take electrical out, but installing is a no-no.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
44,213 Posts
A woman was very distraught at the fact that she had not had a date or any sex in quite some time.

She was afraid she might have something wrong with her, so she decided to seek the medical expertise of a sex therapist. Her doctor recommended that she see Dr. Chang, the well-known Chinese sex therapist, so she went to see him.

Upon entering the examination room, Dr. Chang said, "OK, take off all you crose." The woman did as she was told. "Now, get down and craw reery, reery fass to odder side of room." Again, the woman did as she was instructed. Dr. Chang then said, "OK, now craw reery, reery fass back to me." So she did.

Dr. Chang shook his head slowly and said, "Your probrem vewy bad. You haf Ed Zachary Disease. Worse case I ever see. Dat why you not haf sex or dates."

Worried, the woman asked anxiously, "Oh my God, Dr. Chang, what is Ed Zachary Disease?"

Dr. Chang looked the woman in the eye and replied, "Ed Zachary Disease is when your face rook Ed Zachary rike your ass."

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
A loose wire on the floor below a tub, I would wager is much more likely to either wet at some time, or chewed to the bare copper by rodents then one installed 12-18 high in a stud wall cavity. IMHO

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Here (most if not all AHJ's), rerunning the cable would require a permit and licensed electrician.

Tom
NY is on the opposite side of things. Very few areas require licensing for electrical work, although the OP is on Long Island, one of the few highly regulated areas of NY.
Anything south of the Hudson Valley and licensing gets out of control, every city or tiny municipality is greedy wants their piece of the pie.

IMO requiring a permit and inspection for something like this is ABSOLUTELY absurd!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts