Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched from using a truck to a van, and I'm in heaven. Just about all of my stuff is only one layer deep now! :laughing:

But I need a ladder rack. Nothing special; only a couple of light ladders. I have a trailer for heavier stuff. Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on CL, and I'll be going to look at a "Kar-Rite" setup tomorrow. He wants $40.

Anyone familiar with that brand? Worth it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have deffinetly seen that brand before. I really don't know a whole lot about van racks though. But for $40 as long as it fits I would deffinetly scoop that right up!:thumbup:

Dave

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
I had something similar on my van. They sit in the rain gutter along the roof and fasten with an "L" bracket to the underside if the gutter.

Pretty good especially for $40. I wouldn't go putting 1000# plus on them though. Good for ladders and 1x material. :thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't chasing after some cheap sheet metal junk.

I did google the brand after posting here, and it looks like retail is ~$150-$300. That sounds like something reasonably usable. Naturally, my van is white and these are black. :rolleyes:

But for $40, I'll deal with it. :thumbsup:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
They will never hold up as good as aluminum Weatherguards.

Any type of painted steel will eventually corrode, giving rust streaks down the side of your van.

Aluminum weatherguard, about $400.00 for 2, is well worth it, outlasted 2 of my vans. And have something like a 500 lb capacity each.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any type of painted steel will eventuall corrode, giving rust streaks down the side of your van.
What is this, PA night? :laughing:

Yes, I've seen that before. But this van isn't all that shiny to begin with, and those critters (if I get them) will immediately get a wire-brushing and paint job.

I still have the truck; this van is a test run and not worth going top-drawer for accessories. But I'm definitely hooked already. Given the amount of tools vs materials that I haul, I'm kicking myself for not switching a long time ago.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO a van is the best vehicle to work out of. Amazing the feeling of it after switching from a pickup
Hallelujah, brother! Can I get an Amen? :thumbsup:

I have to admit that though I've had a few [non-work] HO vans in the past, this critter (an extended body E250) with fully stocked shelves on both sides, feels just a leetle bit top-heavy and definitely keeps me awake while driving it. But oh, the luxury of just reaching in and directly plucking out whatever you need at the moment! :clap::clap:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I've been running vans for years mostly because we get a lot of rain.

My personal van is the long wheelbase short body. The really cool part is that it doubles as a camper for fishing/hunting trips. There is enough room for a twin air matress, 172 qt. cooler and Porta-Potty. Add some rod holders up top, rifles can hang from the racks and you have the ultimate crossover vehicle.

I'm currently trying to find a 4X4 diesel base to stick under my body. Bad a$$ van!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you said only light use, but this poster made a great point about racks that may be helpful.
Over the years the roof began to sag at the door and it F'd it up, would never close right.....
:eek: Wow, who'da thunk it? I'd guess he was putting some pretty heavy loads up there.

Considering the weight of the shelves & equipment I have bolted inside this thing, I'd expect the whole body to warp long before a couple of light ladders up top did anything. And I'm no young bull--no way am I going to be hoisting heavy stuff up there when I can just toss it into a trailer below waist level. :thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went and saw those racks this afternoon. Good heavy construction, with only a couple small patches of surface rust. Ponied up my $40.

Now they'll probably sit all winter until I find a roundtuit to clean, paint and mount them. :laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts