Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is having her house vinyl sided. She beeps me. I call her back. She said i picked the color clay. But the contractor told me they were out of that so he picked another color its not clay its not light tan its inbetween. He said it will be delivered tuesday. I told hold her did you see the color before he said it would be delivered. No she said he just said its not clay not light tan but inbetween. I told her you are stupid if you don't immediately call him back and say your not having anything vinyl siding delivered on this site until i see the color. I don't think she is going to call him. She thinks that would be wrong. I feel like ripping that contractors head off and crapping down his throat. Have you guys ever heard of a contractor who would have vinyl siding delivered before the customer authorized the color. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY THE MOST OUTRADGEOUS THING I HAVE EVER HEARD. She paying the money and i guess he is going to pick the color. Tell me Am i rite in thinking this guy is way out of line. :evil:

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
exactly. here is exactly what she told me. The guy said clay isn't in stock he would try to find somewhere else she called him up at 7am to find out if he found it somewhere else. he said if found not clay not light tan but inbetween it will be delivered on tuesday. I told her call him back and say your not delivering anything on tuesday until i see the color. She thinks its to late because its going to be delivered on tuesday. I told her if its not on the job site hasn't left the order place it can be stopped. Thats correct isn't it grumpy. The house is already torn apart wrap on and now he is ordering siding what is going on. I told her to tell him leave that house the way it is until you get me clay

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im with Grumpy, she should get what she wants and its his job to provide that. She contracted him to do the work the way she wants and in the color she wants, in essence she is his boss and thusly he should do what the boss wants.

Sounds to me like one of those guys thats too big for his britches. You never know, he may be able to get clay, but found this other "in between" color cheaper and is just trying to pad his profit at the expense of her satisfaction.

Knock some sense into that gal.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I don't think that any reputable contractor would even consider suggesting that the customer, after choosing a finish product, accept an alternate sight unseen. I'd tell my sister to be very careful about how much money she pays out before the job is finished.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
This contractor stands a real good chance of getting much of the alternative color installed and having your sister say that she doesn't like it. He'd have to remove it and install the agreed upon color at his cost. From the contractor's perspective, what he's suggesting is industrial strength stupid.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
She wants clay, - - she gets clay, - - and that's it. He comes with some other color, - - send him the hell home. Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The concept stinks, I couldn't trust this guy. Time to start shopping again.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

I knew something was up yesterday when i was 30,000 feet in the air and my sister number was on my pager. :rolleyes: But anyway. I did reach that contractor last night when i reached my hotel. I told him bascially that. I spoke to some contractor buddy's of mine(you GUYS) and they said your way out of line. Your either going to install the clay color she wants in accordance with the contractor or you will be ripping down the color you put up and replacing it with the clay color she wants. When i get home it better be clay or I will go see a attorney and have him hit you with breach of contract. I told my sister DO NOT ALTER THAT CONTRACT. So he said i will stop the deliver and find the clay. I told my sister to go with the contractor i went with but she didn't listen. My contractor did have to special order my vinyl siding because i wanted to go with certainteed monogram 46L savannah wicker. He did tell me that would be no problem but special order because certainteed makes many different styles of vinyl and my wholesaler can't keep them in stock. This was expensive vinyl but i didn't care. So hopefully ever thing will work out for my sister. She is single and a nurse and layback not a get in your face type of women. The thing that really burned my up was i was home for 3 days just pulled out yesterday 245am and now i'm no where near k3 county and don't have exact date when will get back. THANKS FOR ALL THE EXCELLENT IMPUT.

Best always,

747 :Thumbs:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Holy crap! Am I the only guy that gives the customer a swatch, a chip or whatever and makes them sign it accepting the color?

This thread could just as easily be about a contractor who had a customer agree to one color and then when it was out of stock he called them and said they had this other color and they verbally agreed to it sight unseen and now half way through the installation he was posting here that they are refusing to pay for it!

Who in their right mind would do business like this and expose themselves to so much liability?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts