Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
What the Guy does is decent product. Not the way I would do it but what the Hay.

I am always thinking about folks that have that kind of frost heave when I install 18'' piers. Just got back from The Caribbean and I really hate the cold now.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
358 Posts
Me either... definitely not the way we would do it. must be one of those counties without building inspectors. :laughing:

It looks nice now but I think its fair to say its not going to be nice for very long.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Artist and not a curator
12,970 Posts
Thanks a lot... I'm never getting that fifteen minutes back again. For the material he was using, probably not that bad of a way, hell, its a throw away rebuild deck anyhow. I think I saw brights being used in what appeared to be ACQ:eek:

The footings aren't that bad actually, sometimes in our sand we dig 24" wide holes and put rebar through the post and pour concrete at bottom and around to the to soil level with copper green, tar, or creosote, on the post.

John wheres he getting cca treated 4x4's... I'm ready to by a bunch.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
It's easy to order cca.

Along with the order is an info sheet explaining what it can be used for,the trouble you can get into using it in Any residential construction , and what the Feds can do to you if you go ahead and use it anyway.

Killer didn't care in fact He was proud of it.

J.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
John welcome back. Next year Im shutting down xmas to feb15. It's been frozen here for the last month. Rebuilt my entire 2nd sprinter. Organized shop. Prefabbed 3 new builds (roof access houses) for jobs on the books and for jobs down the rd. Redesign more streamlined ways to build, move and produce in the field. Also designed and built bunch if flower boxes and ipe furniture. My guys have handling a few interior jobs. The deck in the video is a simple ground deck about12" +/- which usually does not require a permit. Easy simple good enough. I don't theres anything wrong with those footings I think he said it 48"??
I thought it was hoki at 1st but I realized it's just cookie cutter boring. Ill bang out 2 a day without breaking a sweat.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Now that I think about it there are places cca can be used.

Pile driven timbers for building condos like the ones in Huston for instance, stock fences for cattle and such, sea walls things like that.

But definitely not playgrounds, decks off houses, Res fences most anything we always used it for in the past before the green mafia got involved in our Business.

I got a print out from Bayou City Lumber that they routinely place with any order of CCA pt lumber. Believe me a Man will get His ass kicked clear into next week and wake up chained to a wall if They catch you.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Here in Toronto a footing has to be 48" below grade, with a sono tube at least 2' down. The concrete and sono has to be 6" above grade and a steel saddle has to be set into the concrete. The post is not supposed to be in contact with the ground at all.
I will also dispute attaching a beam to the side of a post. It should be doubled up, and put on top of a post to provide the most strength.

Just my 2cents. (oops: we no longer use pennies here in Canada!)

·
Artist and not a curator
12,970 Posts
Here in Toronto a footing has to be 48" below grade, with a sono tube at least 2' down. The concrete and sono has to be 6" above grade and a steel saddle has to be set into the concrete. The post is not supposed to be in contact with the ground at all.
I will also dispute attaching a beam to the side of a post. It should be doubled up, and put on top of a post to provide the most strength.

Just my 2cents. (oops: we no longer use pennies here in Canada!)
Hurricane country doesn't like to see post on top. You can but then have to use those ugly top buckets. We mostly notch and through bolt.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I've built that way on freestanding decks many many times- only the entire post is surrounded in concrete. Nice strong rails when the posts run through the deck.

Here is one I built a couple years ago- 2"x12" joists and 2"x12" girder under the joists.

Attachments

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I thought KillerDecks dropped the post into concrete in the hole?

We couldn't get away with most of that framing around here. We need full depth columns/footings and beams need to be on the post via notch or hardware. I'd never put a post that close to the foundation as you'd need to dig REALLY deep to get past the fill.

It's funny, I don't build PT decks but that work looks so easy and simple that I almost wish I could. I could be halfway through the deck before I even woke up.

The video was really well done though. I enjoyed the pacing and the little fast forwards. I hope the miter saw was 20' away for the sake of the video and not just so they could throw 2x4's at each other.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
The decking forum went to hell after killer left. It used to have pozaz. A little life to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts