Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always lived in larger homes with heat pumps and have never really noticed this before. Commercial drywall contractor for 30 years but know nothing about HVAC.

My wife and I are scaling down and recently moved into a small 2/2 apartment with a heat pump. I have started to notice something that does not seen right. The interior part of the system is in a closet and the return and filter are on the outside of the closet wall center of the apartment. If its cold and temp drops down below the setting the unit and fan will come on and heat up the space as it should.

Now its warm outside but many times a day, the whole thing will begin to hum and vibrate even though the thermostat says the room is at 76 degrees and is set to keep it at 76 degrees. The fan never comes on and it will stop as soon as I turn heat setting to OFF. It will stay on several minutes each time if I leave it alone. Not sure if the outside unit comes on or not because its in a fenced in area and I do not have access. Can't tell which is ours through the fence.

Is this normal ??

JDPugh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK.....looking out the window into the fenced area, it would appear that our unit comes on outside as well. The filter louver shakes, rattles and hum's noticeably but the fan never comes on to blow air and the thermostat says the temp is 76 in the apartment. The thermostat is set on 76 as well so I do not see why it would be calling for heat. This cycle happens 3 - 4 times an hour and it will last 5-10 minutes. May be me just not understanding how these things work. Never drops below 76 room temp all day yet it keeps cycling on and off all day.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Many modern digital thermostats round the displayed temp. And never change, even though the room is almost 1 degree cooler or hotter. Sounds like your indoor blower may not be working right all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK that makes sense, I am going to reduce the setting 3-4 degrees and see if that stops the hum. Just hate to call maintenance until I am sure its a problem and not just my meager understanding of how this works.

My dad took care of plumbing, heat and air in the factory where he worked. Always diagnosed and fixed issues at home effortlessly. I should have paid more attention !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is stupid silly, but it isn't a condensate pump you are hearing is it?
No the unit is in a bedroom closet and I can see the condensation line in the closet. Drops right into an open drain stubbed up about 24" above slab. Water heater also in closet with drain and pressure relief run to drain as well. Open drain in my closet does not seem right to me......but hey I am a drywall man.

The room room temps stay right on the setting but the blower fan will come on when the room temps drop a degree or two. But when the room temps are up to setting I just can't see why the unit hums and vibrates like its all on but the blower. If I turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees room temp will gradually drop but the unit does not hum and vibrate until the room temp reaches the thermostat setting. Then the humming and vibrating begins.....fan may come on every hour or so but the humming and vibrating in going at least 75% of the time without the fan.

Like I said....I am clueless about these things and I know they run a lot but geez.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts