Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Is this Marble?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  4 seasons lawn& 
#1 ·
I think so, not sure though.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Im near Albany NY. Marble is common around here, especially historically, like slate.

Im not sure on this stuff because its natural cleft! All uneven faces and edges.

Marble, I thought does not break in layers but is sawn from cubes resulting in all smooth surfaces.

Now maybe back in the day they snapped it hydraulically...

This stuff would have been placed well over a hundred years ago.

Attachments

#9 ·
haha, cant say I'd want to spend the night in my basement myself.

I did the vinegar thing, it did not fizz at all.

I know it is some type of purpose intended construction stone and not just random lucky rocks, theyre a consistent 5 1/2 feet wide, 20" depth and 4-5" thick. I like the way they look, very natural in texture and varigation of color as well as unique color You really only see white construction stone in marble but the somewhat irregular surfaces just are not typical with what Ive seen. I think theyd look nice in outdoor landscaping applications.

I wanna' know how they got the thing's there. They must be over 500 lbs a piece.

#11 ·
Thanks John. Off topic but I see you use marble. I was quoted $33 a sq ft for 2" thick outdoor, landscape grade marble, $45 for 3", $59 for 4". Does this sound legitamate straight from the quarry?

I started making some benches and tables out of bluestone this summer. It's amazing how difficult it is to find building stone at fair prices... at least in my area.

How much does your marble cutting stock cost you? Any info would be great. thanks.

#12 ·
Hi All, This is a Quartzite for sure very hard and has a very low porosity, if you are going to replace missing pieces or have to repair you probably won't have too much trouble finding pieces in your area just "hand select" once you can actually see the pieces by cleaning the whole staircase up. Be careful not to saturate the whole stair with muriatic as the grout joints are more than likely sand and cement and you could "burn" the grout joints as they will be way softer that the stone itself. Use a 6 to one mix of muriatic/Water (water being the 6 lol) and slowly increase if you have no results cleaning it. Wet it first then apply the mixture and agitate with turks head brush then rinse.
Good luck with the search.
GTG

#13 ·
thank's. I was just curious because I work with stone and do landscaping and am consequently interested to know since it's different than what I've seen before... and it's in my house. No need for repair or modification at this time, or any time as far as I can expect. This is all actually dry construction! Believe it or not I washed them before the picture. It's earth behind the risers. No grout, no motar, not even an aggregate behind it,lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.