Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me while I vent! Been looking for work in Pittsburgh after moving here. Why do people think an experienced carpenter will work for $10 an hour with all their own tools! Then when I get hired as a plumber the guy offers me a job and pay rate and then calls the day before I was to start and says he found someone cheaper! He suggested my starting rate!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
EarthQuakens said:
Excuse me while I vent! Been looking for work in Pittsburgh after moving here. Why do people think an experienced carpenter will work for $10 an hour with all their own tools! Then when I get hired as a plumber the guy offers me a job and pay rate and then calls the day before I was to start and says he found someone cheaper! He suggested my starting rate!
It's the same here in Michigan. Truck and tools required for $12 to $17 per hour. Checking cl over the last few years and it seems its that way all over the states.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess most people don't care about quality of work anymore as long as some Mo will toss it up for dirt cheap. I know I don't know it all but I at least have pride in my work and do it right! I guess that's why my place here came with 1x4 as baseboard, a crooked cabinet install and a leaking shower.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
He suggested your rate...........?:blink: I wasn't aware that's how you run a profitable business....

You have already taken a blow starboard side from your customer- are you trying to help your ship sink faster.., .:blink: keep going with that process and it will sink to the bottom - rapidly.....:rolleyes:

Stop letting customers run your business....:rolleyes:...start there.....

B,

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't for a customer it was for a job. Since I moved to pittsburgh for my fiancés job I figured I should work for someone since I am not very familiar with pittsburgh. He suggested my starting pay the. Texted me the day before I start saying he found someone cheaper ... I'm mind boggled

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Ohhhh,
Well you kind of left that out......;)

In the economy we are living in- your lucky to find work.....

Maybe he wants to see how well you work before he increases your pay scale. If you do a good job and your employer recognizes that by giving you a raise...I guess there is hope..if he doesn't ,and your not happy, keep looking.....

But apparently with this contractor - he is looking for the cheep.....

Just saying.....

B,

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I found work :( ....
I was hired until the day before work!
If he was going to hire someone cheaper I would have started lower to prove myself he's the one that suggested I start at the rate he then said was high and found someone different. A hand shake isn't worth it's weight in crap anymore I guess

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes almost every tool you would need. And I've been involved with renovations and additions commercially and residentially for about 10 years now. We always did our own plumbing and always subbed out hvac and electrical tho.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Framing, drywall, flooring, kitchens, baths, doors, finishing , light electrical and plumbing have done a few furnaces but its not my cup of tea

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah we live in a nice area but I'm still getting familiar with it. And codes and inspectors here are way stricter than what I'm used to. Pretty much a union ran county

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
You have to make things happen ......

Get out in your new neighborhood , introduce yourself , let your neighbors know what you do.........get a list together/ flyer type - handy man stuff......

You will be amazed what happens if you have a pleasant personality,furnished with tools and skills.......and are not a quiter and can overcome rejection.....it's a part of life and you have to except it and move on,,,,,

Start doing handyman work,,,,,,it will lead to other things, possibly your own business,,,,,,,who knows.....but you have to do something.....

I do handyman stuff in-between my larger projects....our life is like that - it goes from "Sh!t to Shinola" and vise versa......

Do not depend on others to fill your void......make things happen...and they will....just don't give up!:thumbsup:

B,

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
I thought I found work :( ....
I was hired until the day before work!
If he was going to hire someone cheaper I would have started lower to prove myself he's the one that suggested I start at the rate he then said was high and found someone different. A hand shake isn't worth it's weight in crap anymore I guess
If your a talented hand & a hard worker, my advice would be to roll up on some higher end jobs & offer to work for 2 days for free. Tell him if at the end of those 2 days, that he belives you'll make a good hand, he owes you for the 2 days, plus the rest of the week. If not, he's lost nothing by giving you a shot.

I landed 2 different jobs early in my career with that tactic. Got paid for my free days both times.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I just feel like crap cause I was counting on the work. Maybe I can find some side work to gain enough to start my own business which is the main goal. Who knows all these guys who claim to be handy men around here and work for peanuts I should be able to find some jobs fixing their screw ups ha

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
EarthQuakens said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I just feel like crap cause I was counting on the work. Maybe I can find some side work to gain enough to start my own business which is the main goal. Who knows all these guys who claim to be handy men around here and work for peanuts I should be able to find some jobs fixing their screw ups ha
Good luck and tax refunds are going to coming back so that should open some work for you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts