Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A trowel-applied drywall texture, made with short, choppy strokes with a 5" joint knife?

It looks like exterior stucco, and you can clearly see knife marks in it. Not a bad look, really.

Is this what they call "Santa Fe" or "California Knockdown"?

Delta

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I call it ugly. I have seen what you are talking about. Not sure what they call it. Sante Fe should be smooth. At least how I like it.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've definitely seen the "Homeowner Skip Trowel". :laughing: That's some ugly S#!t.

The one I kinda like is I guess the Spanish Knockdown. But the peaks are always flattened. Done well, it looks very much like old Spanish stucco.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Around here, a sprayed on texture is called "splatter" and if it's knocked down, it's called "splatter and drag".

I also heard the former called orange peel.

All can be in varying degrees from light to heavy.

Invariably, in a house with "splatter and drag" there will be a couple of walls, usually in a closet (hopefully) that ends up being just splatter because it gets overlooked by the guy doing the "dragging". I've let a small closet wall go but I have had to get a large wall reworked a couple of times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Around here, a sprayed on texture is called "splatter" and if it's knocked down, it's called "splatter and drag".

I also heard the former called orange peel.

All can be in varying degrees from light to heavy.

Invariably, in a house with "splatter and drag" there will be a couple of walls, usually in a closet (hopefully) that ends up being just splatter because it gets overlooked by the guy doing the "dragging". I've let a small closet wall go but I have had to get a large wall reworked a couple of times.
Orange peel is very light. Watered down mud and lots of air. Looks like the peel of an orange. When it is very thin mud an a lot of air it is a fog texture. Looks like rolled on paint. Splatter is done with less air and slightly thicker mud. With splatter you can see the individual drops of texture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts