Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing a bunch of doors and the customer wants to know how much i charge for the doors and labor..i told him it was all combined. my price was smack in the middle of everyone else's and the quality of my doors are top notch(he knows it).. i don't feel its anyones business as to what my profit margins are.
usually when someone wants to get this specific i get the feeling they are going to use my estimate to low ball other contractors.

·
Banned
538 Posts
i think he just wants to know where his dollar is going. if he has a problem with how much you charge, break it down for him. you're not just installing doors. explain you have to drive to the job site, figure out a plan, measurements, what kind of doors you're using etc. you gotta drive to the lumber yard, get the doors ordered, pick them up or schedule a delivery, or they are in stock get them right then and there, wear and tear on your tools, not to mention if something breaks, the gas involved, plus he's paying for your experience.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
I wouldn't break it down :no: The few times I've ever done that, it has always led to problems...sounds like you're already on the job, so just chuckle and tell him it's "proprietary business information".

Is he also asking how much you spend on insurances, licensing, tools, out of pocket health care costs, vehicle costs, etc?

I didn't think so.

·
Banned
538 Posts
I wouldn't break it down :no: The few times I've ever done that, it has always led to problems...sounds like you're already on the job, so just chuckle and tell him it's "proprietary business information".

Is he also asking how much you spend on insurances, licensing, tools, out of pocket health care costs, vehicle costs, etc?

I didn't think so.
true, but some people just want to know where the money is going. i guess it depends on how good of a relationship he has with this guy.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Go with your gut. I find the same as you when people ask for breakdowns. I won't give them but not to hide profit margins. If this customer thinks you should do it without a profit then they aren't a customer you want.

Especially if they have other numbers. Maybe you can tell them your numbers are figured on a job item basis and then ask why they are requesting a breakdown.

They probably think they are going to save if they (or you) get the doors from somewhere like Blowes or the Big Orange Slut.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
As far as I ever let this go was as follows:
Cost of materials = xxxx.xx, my markup included
Cost of labor = xxxx.xx

Customers don't need to know where we get our materials or how much we actually make on a job.

As JF said, it sounds like he is already doing the job. If he is doing it by contract then how could the HO use it to lowball someone else?

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
true, but some people just want to know where the money is going. i guess it depends on how good of a relationship he has with this guy.
How about 'going to the total completion of the job'.

What else is there for them to know?

What happens when your mechanic hands you a bill (or an estimate) that's itemized? Do you dicker with them over specifics like 'I can get the parts at Pep xxxx for less'?

Probably not. :no:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,497 Posts
That's a bill. It's to late to bicker. He wants to know how much each specific item is going to cost him. It is easy. You want 20 doors installed it is this much.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts

What happens when your mechanic hands you a bill (or an estimate) that's itemized? Do you dicker with them over specifics like 'I can get the parts at Pep xxxx for less'?

Interchange them as you like :thumbsup:

·
Banned
538 Posts

no, but i know that if i hired someone to work for me that i didnt know i would be curious as to where my money went. if i didnt like the initial bid, i wouldnt use him. but if someone submitted a bid i was happy with, great, i'll be happy to use them. but again i'd be curuious as to where my money was going.
just my 2 cents. i dont think its out of line to ask. but i dont think they are entitled to the answer either.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
no, but i know that if i hired someone to work for me that i didnt know i would be curious as to where my money went. if i didnt like the initial bid, i wouldnt use him. but if someone submitted a bid i was happy with, great, i'll be happy to use them.
For the sake of argument, all things being equal (liked the guy, numbers were the same, etc) but one listed doors at double then who do you pick?

but again i'd be curuious as to where my money was going.
I don't see that it matters if the bottom line is the same

i dont think its out of line to ask. but i dont think they are entitled to the answer either.
Confusing as to where you stand :confused1:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,497 Posts
Curious as to where my money is going.....

Into my bank account after I pay my bills.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
no, but i know that if i hired someone to work for me that i didnt know i would be curious as to where my money went. if i didnt like the initial bid, i wouldnt use him. but if someone submitted a bid i was happy with, great, i'll be happy to use them. but again i'd be curuious as to where my money was going.
just my 2 cents. i dont think its out of line to ask. but i dont think they are entitled to the answer either.
Why does it matter where the money goes?

he gave a price that was in middle of the other contractors, if the HO doesn't want to hire him that is fine.

If the doors cost the contractor $1 and he sells them for $200, whats it matter to the HO?

The contractor gave him a lump sum bid, when you start breking things down, they start counting your money and looking to beat you down on price.

I would polietely decline to give the guy a breakdown and tell him the job bid is XXX.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts