Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this concrete bad?
This is a residential foundation wall poured the day before. The forms have just come off and it looks dry and crumbly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13168643273/
Heavy dusting occurs when I brushed my fingers across it. My sub said that he had heard about dusting like this but had not seen it. No slump test was performed but the sub said that he estimated that it was about a 5inch slump. The crew had done extensive troweling on other parts of the wall and after I snapped this picture and was looking at those other parts of the wall they skimmed over this area too. The weather the day of pouring was 69-47 and the weather this second day was 74-50. What may have caused this bad looking concrete, and should I accept this work.

Thanks for helping me with this question.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
i dig ditches, don't know a thing about pouring concrete, but seen a lot of it done. to me, looks like the worst workmanship i've ever seen. did they vibrate it? why the exposed aggregate/honeycombs?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Looks like it wasn't vibrated properly and may have been less than a 5" slump. You can try contacting a testing company or engineer to come out and inspect it and tell you if it's structurally sound.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
what was used for Form ? wood or Aluminum?
was the form buttered or dried ?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
What trade is 'Registered User'?

I really hate people that throw trash down in the hole:censored:

Reactions: backhoe1

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I don't know. it doesn't look great but it's not the worst I've seen. Who cares how it looks once it's damp proofed, insulated and covered up

What does the inspector have to say?

·
Don
1,322 Posts
I don't know. it doesn't look great but it's not the worst I've seen. Who cares how it looks once it's damp proofed, insulated and covered up

What does the inspector have to say?
you must obviously seen our big developer here "name begins with M" have there illegals do cement pour in Jan-Feb in minus 30
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
No but I've seen some terrible pours. Honeycombing can be patched if it's a concern, bad corners aren't see below grade. Is it reasonably square, plumb, level? Does the concrete break apart? What's the compressive strength? Is there the proper amount of steel? Foundations aren't supposed to look good, they're supposed to resist applied loads and keep water out

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Shooting from the hip,only looking at one picture may not tell complete story. With that said,my initial thought,they used some extremely ratty wood faced forms that should have been refaced 40 pours ago.

It could well be structurally sound.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tap the wall with a hammer and whatever sounds hollow chip out and replace. The sooner you do it the easier it is.

Make them chip out right angles. Meaning don't let them chip out circles and slopes, make the patches squares and rectangles.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
And go to the intro section and tell us about your self

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.