Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a plumber having a new house built. The brick the mason used mostly cut pieces on the row around the windows but the brick does not match the main brick of the house. Is this acceptable? Can someone explain this? Should I ask him to fix it. Link to pic below. Thanks

http://s28.postimg.org/i2xrs3j5p/Masonry_2.jpg

<http://s28.postimg.org/i2xrs3j5p/Masonry_2.jpg>

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Hey Bob, I suggest you have this conversation with the mason. He should be able to explain everything better than anyone here could. No one here is familiar with your job. That is, unless your mason is a member of CT.

·
Windwash
595 Posts
Not acceptable for color or vertical spacing IMO. I'm assuming for this window height that you have other windows this same height and this is not an oddball between two others?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Looks a little odd Between the windows. But I'm trying to visualize if the bricks went across the face what that may look like...

Not really sure exactly what you don't like. A picture further back would help.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Archi's should learn brick sizes before designing a house, there are very few ways to make brick wider other than what you see.
the cut brick on the angle iron is a no-no, unless the mason had no choice.
I would of soldier coarsed it cutting the height of the brick to match the coarse on top of the cut one.

from what I see this is not acceptable and if I was the mason, I would worry about getting paid,
Unless of coarse the HO, GC, or Archi gave the order to do such an abortion.

Reactions: JRWMASONRY

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I will add, There were sooooooo many ways to make this right.

Quality, Workmanship, these aren't just words, Its a way of life

Reactions: parkers5150

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I know this, that was a lot of work. And before you go off half cocked ready to choke the mason, talk to him. Explain your concerns, questions and work it out.

There may be really logical reasons for the issues you have that he can explain to you.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Poor design to leave that small spacing between windows on a brick veneer house

Agree.
I would knock out that brick and make a wide mullion to join the windows together.

OP, the color is off on those brick. At first I had to do a double take I thought he mixed different color mortar, but yeah bricks of a different color.

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
Bob, I don't know what you can do at this point, you should have went over details before he started or said something while he was doing the brick. Now the only thing you can do it tell him to fix everything and and don't pay him.
The work is substandard quality. Between the windows he should put a whole brick and a s*^t load of cuts. The window sill he should have put the brick on the edge to eliminate that narrow strip of brick at the bottom and same thing on top he should have ran a solder course to eliminate that narrow strip on top the angle iron.
I don't know where you found this guy, but he is not a brick layer, maybe a guy who is doing lots of pavers, they love doing s^*t load of cuts to fill the edges and it looks like this is what happened here...

Good luck I hope you straighten this mess out.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,138 Posts
OP, the color is off on those brick. At first I had to do a double take I thought he mixed different color mortar, but yeah bricks of a different color.

Ends of architectural bricks may look different from the sides.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I do not know if I would blame it on the mason, he didn't lay out the windows did he? The different color is from using the back of the brick on the potato chips he cut for the mullions.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
The different color between the windows is just the ends of the brick being different than the face. See it all the time. Those windows were not installed properly to allow for brick between them. I would challenge you to come up with a better solution, because such a thing does not exist.

That style brick is called architectual and is not a great look in rowlock pattern such as under the window. The thin slice below the window and above could have been avoided, maybe. But it would have been a trade off with cutting each soldier brick on top.

Personally, I think the brick looks like it has a lot of mortar stains on it, which could be washed off. I would have used limestone for the window sills and leveled the pitch a bit to look more natural. There is no good solution between the windows, except to move the windows further apart. More pictures might show better examples of concerns, but you didn't bother with that.

Overall the job looks like crap cause the builder had no idea how to lay it out for brick. I know the problem because it is so common. It is unbelievable how builders have no clue how to incorporate masonry in an attractive way.

Bob the Plumber needs to have a talk with his builder, not the mason. If he would have spoke with the mason before the project started, many of these eyesores could have been prevented.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Overall the job looks like crap cause the builder had no idea how to lay it out for brick. I know the problem because it is so common. It is unbelievable how builders have no clue how to incorporate masonry in an attractive way.
You can say that again....

·
Registered
432 Posts
It looks crap, there is mortar all over the bricks, the joints all vary in width, the perps dont line up on the centre of the brick below and Im only 6 courses up, havnt even got to the window

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,702 Posts
Pretty soon everyone will be doing it because it is unique.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts