·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price is what really caught my eye. I would prefer a Dewalt (its my drug of choice) but for $133 it seems like a good enough router to have around.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is a price increase. Was $99, then $109, $119 is the usual price. The EVS , 2.25hp, and slow start is really worth the extra money. Milwaukee has that too. I prefer the DeWalt kits. I have 2 of the 3 base kits w. edge guide,that I paid $150 on HD clearance,, one had a rebate that made it $125 from Amazon. Really like the soft start and "D" base. Just do not buy the PC as B&D has really made a mess of their kit routers now.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Great deal. I have the DeWalt set & the Milwaukee looks real nice. I only need a more powerful router for my router table.
Steve

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I have got to ask. Do you guys really buy your tools off the internet? That seams so strange too me. When I buy some tools I like to pick it up hold fiddle with the adjustments etc... before I buy something.

Cole

Edit: I have a bosch router and do NOT like the black base. You can't see through it and doesn't seam to slide as well as others.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have got to ask. Do you guys really buy your tools off the internet? That seams so strange too me. When I buy some tools I like to pick it up hold fiddle with the adjustments etc... before I buy something.

Cole

Edit: I have a bosch router and do NOT like the black base. You can't see through it and doesn't seam to slide as well as others.
It depends, if I can find it locally for close to the same price as online I will support the local vendor. Some specialty items I just can't find local Or the price is 20-30% higher. Lately I have been doing a lot of shopping on craig's list & ebay, it seems there are a lot of good deals out there. Also a lot of times when I buy on line I am replacing a tool so I am usualy buying the same one & then I just need to shop for the best deal & free shipping.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I look at the tools in the stores & get the model#s & I usually get a better price on the Net (same warranty). The one time that I didn't do this I got stuck with a crappy Hitachi circular saw.
Steve

Cole

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

Cole

Unless I break something, and have to replace it right now, then yes, everything is from the internet, and most from eBay. I have only got a bad tool once.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're going to love your Bosch 1617 router. Really powerful - well engineered and built.

Reccomend you read the manual. There is a good information about use, mis-use, maintenance etc. Some information is basic, but it is a good reminder. Tools ususally "don't work" because of operator error - or expecting the tool to do more than it was designed for.

Internet is good for research and replacements. I have not yet found a website that can substitute for local experts who have worked with the tools and the manufacturers to better understand pro's and con's.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm going to wait until I can get a good deal on the three base Dewalt kit. I thought the $133 price tag was a good buy but I'll hold out. I have bought quite a few tools off the internet, mostly amazon.com. If I know exactly what I want I will shop online for a better price. Amazon has a 70% off section where I have found amazing deals. Its worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Bad part of the internet, is if something breaks, you're screwed. I also don't agree with taking the middleman out of the equation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts