Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My normal ride around with me every day miter saw is my 10" Dewalt chop saw. In the shop I have a 10" slider and a 12" slider that I only bring to job site when I think I need it. On long jobs I usally bring one of them set up and leave for duration of job.

I was catching up on some reading of one of my favorite mags, JLC, and saw a couple months ago they did a review on the 7 1/4" makita slider and was wondering if anyone uses these.

The weight of around 29 pounds and sliding cut capabilities seems like it should be my go to saw that rides with me everyday.

Thought?

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
I used a Hitachi 8 1/2" slider a lot a few years back - it was great for most things. Compact and light, and a good cut. Very, very handy as a ride around.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,998 Posts
I have the Craftsman 7 1/4 slider too. It is pretty much all I use out on a job . Being my work trailer is my shop on the job the saw is small does not take up a lot of room , but yet does all I need it to when trimming out windows. When framing then the 12" one gets set up.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
K&K Carpentry said:
My normal ride around with me every day miter saw is my 10" Dewalt chop saw. In the shop I have a 10" slider and a 12" slider that I only bring to job site when I think I need it. On long jobs I usally bring one of them set up and leave for duration of job. I was catching up on some reading of one of my favorite mags, JLC, and saw a couple months ago they did a review on the 7 1/4" makita slider and was wondering if anyone uses these. The weight of around 29 pounds and sliding cut capabilities seems like it should be my go to saw that rides with me everyday. Thought?
a buddy of mine swears by that saw. Used it for framing trim, pretty much what ever. He said biggest plus is blades are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the makita 7 1/4 corded and cordless. There all I use anymore. Pair it up with a good freud industrial blade. Dead accuracy clean cuts due to the high rpm. Mine has seen miles of trim . Highly recommended.
I'd stay away from any other brands.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Jswills76 said:
I have the makita 7 1/4 corded and cordless. There all I use anymore. Pair it up with a good freud industrial blade. Dead accuracy clean cuts due to the high rpm. Mine has seen miles of trim . Highly recommended.
I'd stay away from any other brands.
How does the cordless model compare to the corded? I assume the cordless spins much slower so it's probably not as clean of a cut. A dual battery mitre saw would be nice.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I would love to see Makita make the little cordless slider with the dual battery setup like they did with the SDS rotary hammer.

I love my little Mak LS 0714

·
Registered
585 Posts
I bought a makita 7 1/2" slider (corded) a month ago. I've only used it for baseboard/shoe so far but it makes a really smooth clean cut and the head has practically no play in it whatsoever... Cheap blades too! Aside from being limited by size the only real con is that it is single bevel, which can be a pain. I'll also add that it costs about as much as most pro-quality 10" mitre saws....

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have the crapsman, its ok, not the most accurate saw in the world, but its 1/4 the price of the makita. The Makita 7 1/4 is sweet, but expensive at $450. The new model Hitachi 8 1/2 is crap compared to the japanese made original. That is a great saw. The closest thing to it right now is the Dewalt 8 1/2 DW712, which is pretty nice as well.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The new model Hitachi 8 1/2 is crap compared to the japanese made original.
:D That seems to be the same with most formerly good tools.
Heck, I remember when craftsman was good.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
30 or 35 years ago I was shopping at sears when it was sears.Of course everybody never left the store without checking out the tools. There it was The first Sliding Miter saw I ever saw. The first miter saw I owned was a Makita 10"no compound cut. It was about 70#. Well I bought the Craftsman 8 1/4 slider for 300.00 or 400.00 I forget. Single compound I had to get a cart to get it to the truck. It is cast iron and it is about 100#. I still have itand still use it once in awhile when I am feeling my oats.Now it has a 81/2" blade in it. It was a perfect job site saw. Did everything I needed it to do.I think a 7 1/4 will do for most jobsite cutting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have the Kobalt 7 1/4. It works fine for general cutting. If I'm looking for a fine cut, I drag out the Makita. The comment above that anything but a Makita is crap, is crap itself. The Kobalt, is not a festool (or Makita) by any means, but it's also 1/4th the price. With a good blade it does a more than adequate job fior most cuts.

Think about it. What are the bulk of the cuts you do each time? Trim, 2x's, an occasional 4x4, etc? The 7 1/4 is more than adequate for these types of cuts. And def much easier to lug around.

Try one out. Most places give you 30 or 90 days to try it out and bring it back if you keep your receipt.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I noticed on Amazon, that Hitatchi has two models for the 8.5" now. One is a cheap knock off and the other is a higher priced model that has a laser and more like the original saw in quality.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts