Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
listen twice talk once!
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my c10 in california, I was wondering about how strong the market was for just running conduit systems. presently I can bend and thread up to two inch rigid I have have a real nice tugger and and a reliable man lift. Is there a market for subcontracting from other electricians. Or marketing to customers in general to just do power distrabution and conduit and bus duct systems. Or is this just being to picky. Thanks for the input. Bkessler.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Not sure... you'd have to market the heck out of yourself to other EC's. I've never heard of such a service, but would consider using one if I knew one existed. I think that most EC's are set up to do this for themselves, so it would seem your market would be smaller EC's who might not otherwise bid work that required running much heavy conduit because they know that they aren't equipped to do it.

Interesting idea, but my gut tells me it might be a tough row to hoe. The real market, if one exists, is in sizes greater than 2". The 2-1/2, 3", 3-1/2" and 4" (and greater for communications duct) are the sizes that at least 80% of EC's are not equipped to cut, bend, thread, heat, or install much of.

·
listen twice talk once!
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think about it.

EC's would not have to pay insurance, or workmans comp, would have the option of supplying material and the markup. A lot of company's do not own man lifts and employees can be careless with tools like threader's bender's and tugger's and some employer's do not like to purchase them. But they all own old ones that dont work anymore cause there to expensive to fix!
Or a company has three guys wiring a a office remodel but power has to be brought in from the far end of the industrial side of the building. I think there is a market.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Bkessler said:
I think there is a market.
I believe that you are probably right.

Like I say, I would consider using a sub service such as yours if I knew of its existance. I think that marketing will be crucial to your effort. There's no doubt that you are technically compitent and equipped to do the work, but you will need to try really hard to make the other EC's know about you. It would also be nice if you were equipped to work with sizes larger than 2", but it would only take one or two profitable jobs for you to get this equipment too. If you were also setup to splice and terminate primary, that would dovetail right in with your piping business.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you have a power threader you can buy an attachment which will allow you to thread larger sizes than 2". Where I am at the low voltage security system guy's are not allowed to run conduit, which I think is B.S. even though I am not one of them types. I will sometimes get calls from low voltage contractors who need conduit run in public buildings or area's where they are likely to get caught by inspectors. The trouble is that they are not used to paying anywhere near what any good E.C. is going to charge to run pipe for them, so they try to chisel down, or do their own work after hours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know this thread is kinda old, but I've been an EC in southern california for 30 years and I'm sure there is no market for what this guy suggests. Everything he's supplying can be rented at reasonable prices.

Besides, who really is running rigid conduit these days? Only in gas stations and other hazardous enviroments....

·
Registered
391 Posts
RR, airports in the AOA area's use lots of it, ship yards, and most important military bases, cause for some stupid reason they think it will provide more security for communication lines than emt. If you can handle the stress of being an employer, all are gold mines just waiting for you to reap the bennies, especially if you get you a minority status 8-A listing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts