Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm soon going to be mudding in a bunch of drywall plugs cut with a 4" hole saw (story here).

Typically what I do is fasten a backer strip of plywood or OSB and screw the plug to that. Never had the guts to NOT tape it, just in case. I don't like callbacks.

I'm aware of the "California patch" method, but have never tried it--seems like I'd waste more time making good plugs than with my tried and true method. Besides, all of the plugs are already there.

So... tape, or not? Anyone have a more efficient way of patching those holes?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I'm soon going to be mudding in a bunch of drywall plugs cut with a 4" hole saw (story here).

Typically what I do is fasten a backer strip of plywood or OSB and screw the plug to that. Never had the guts to NOT tape it, just in case. I don't like callbacks.

I'm aware of the "California patch" method, but have never tried it--seems like I'd waste more time making good plugs than with my tried and true method. Besides, all of the plugs are already there.

Cali patch can be made in about two minutes. they dont have to exact, just cover the perimeter of the hole.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Cali patch is my assessment too, I spray glue them in place with the 3M corner bead glue, them hit with 2 light skim coats and gone. The tape just doesn't do as well IMP.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
I wouldn't do Cali patch on round holes.

I do have more efficient ways (no tape, no cali patch, just the plug that was cut out), but I'm still convincing myself they'll hold up in the long run. So far no fails...

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
When I do a Cali patch, I get the recessed piece close but not perfect. Then load the piece up with hot mud and install it. This way there are no gaps between the patch piece and the hole behind the paper on the Cali patch.

You need to be careful with a Cali patch because the paper will not take moisture as well as paper tape. So if you work it too much, too hard, the paper will tear.

I wouldn't use a Cali patch on round holes. Especially if the plug is right there from the hole itself. I really like the metal clips. Great for this application.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I patched a few holes in my emergency repair after I flooded the ceiling using a piece of steel, screws, fibafure and sheetrock 90.

I gotta tell ya FibaFuse is gold for repair work, the mud squishes through it and you can pull it perfectly flat. Then you can sand the hell out of it without it getting furry.

FibaFuse is practically made for people like me who can't patch a hole worth a sh!t.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I just use 6" wide fibafuse over the secured plug, very quick. Use 5 min mud.
The thinness of fibafuse will make a blow out patch a thing of the past.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I patched a few holes in my emergency repair after I flooded the ceiling using a piece of steel, screws, fibafure and sheetrock 90.

I gotta tell ya FibaFuse is gold for repair work, the mud squishes through it and you can pull it perfectly flat. Then you can sand the hell out of it without it getting furry.

FibaFuse is practically made for people like me who can't patch a hole worth a sh!t.
+1

I put Fiba in my taping diet and since then have been very regular with it.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say there are around two dozen holes, one per joist and/or stud bay. I think it'd take quite a few more to make re-hanging the better deal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Id recommend doing like you have with the osb backer and reuse the plugs you cut with the hole saw. Roll on some mesh tape and two light coats of mud. Sand, prime, paint. On ceilings, the California or hot patch as we call it here, may sag. Even if you did it that way I'd still use an osb backer on it. Just my way, I understand everyone has the way they prefer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Make your backing out of plasterboard glue it to the back of your repair surface using setting compound, when its set fill the recess it will be completley flat no tape required
I,v used this technique on holes up to six inches wide no worries

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I've used this drywall repair patch too many times to count without ever having an issue. It's an adhesive backed wire mesh. It works great for that size hole, especially with hot mud.

A lot faster than plugs I think.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I've patched many 4" holes in drywall using a wood backer screwed securely, with hot mud forced into the joint, and no tape, and never had a problem with call backs. If the drywall patch is small and secured well with a backer piece, and it's obviously not over a stud, so it's floating, how can it move and crack?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I don't understand: why not tape? Why risk having it crack and being called back? But criticizing; just asking.

I've always used tape over any joint, crack, etc. I've been using the fiber tape recently and so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
No tape in general = less of a raised area to feather out in this sort of situation
I knew that. But unless you've never touched mud before, it's not difficult and adding tape doesn't add any significant time to the job. I would think.

Especially if you use hot mud which dries very quickly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why not tape? It takes a second and if you cant easily cover mesh its a 1/16 of an inch for christs sake, give your pan and knives to someone else. Having said that yes it will likely never crack unless the next guy goes to hang something or do other work and discovers your booby trap. Its not a big deal either way it only takes a second geez.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts