Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been pressure cleaning for years and have great results. I see these new companies coming around offering soft-washing as a safer and better alternative to pressure washing.

Does it provide better results as these companies say? It looks to me like it is just dumping a whole bunch of chemicals onto the house and rinsing it with a hose. Any insight would be great/

·
Registered
23 Posts
The proper way to clean any surface has always been to use the lowest possible pressure to get the job done. What this means is the use of chems and recommended dwell times. By changing nozzles and orifice sizes you can reduce the pressure on any machine to next to nothing. The use of a pressure washer is really as a big rinsing tool. Soft Wash and Low Pressure Washing are just the latest and greatest of the terms and a way to market your service using the newer equipment used for this type of cleaning. It is based off of the principle that the pros have been using for years.

·
Chris
260 Posts
We have been pressure cleaning for years and have great results. I see these new companies coming around offering soft-washing as a safer and better alternative to pressure washing.

Does it provide better results as these companies say? It looks to me like it is just dumping a whole bunch of chemicals onto the house and rinsing it with a hose. Any insight would be great/
To answer your question... Yes, It has provided better results for me.

I have been pressure washing for 15 years on and off in various forms. I started my full time pressure washing business 2 years ago. Before I did, I researched all the different the ways to pressure wash a home by taking classes, attending seminars, and internet reasearch. What I came up with was that low pressure house washing (soft washing) produced the best results for me and the homeowner.

- When you are "soft washing" you are using detergent to kill the mold and mildew then rinsing away the particulates left over from that process.

- When you are using pressurized water only to remove mold and mildew all you are doing is removing the surface mold and mildew, not the mold and mildew spores themselves.

To me the benefits of "soft washing" are far greater than the one draw back. The one draw back to using detergents is you have to take extra steps in making sure plants that come in contact with the detergents are protected.

There are so many benefits to soft washing over pressure washing that it would take me a whole article to write it all out... Just figured out the first article for my website's new blog:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
understand that while you want to clean the outside,detergents can ruin the weather resistant barrier thats just behind it
This type of cleaning often times involves the person providing the service to make their own "home brew" which usually leads to misuse of the chemicals. Chlorine is the most used chemical and the most misused chemical. Chlorine Bleach is often used in cleaning house exteriors and roofs. If bleach only is used it will typically run off and leave streaks. It needs to remain on the surface to work. This is called dwell time and for most homes is about 10 minutes. A detergent is added to give the bleach some "cling" and allow for this dwell time so that low pressure rinsing or soft washing is effective. Chlorine bleach does not like detergents in most cases and it is recommended to used approved products. The biggest advantage to using approved products is you have an MSDS Sheet which is an OSHA requirement. If you are making home brews there is no MSDS Sheet. The bottom line is that whatever the cleaner/chemicals, bleach, detergents, surfactants, penetrants, etc. being used they do not want to be abused or used incorrectly because that is when damage occurs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can "soft wash" with any pressure washer. Add a dual lance wand and you can drop the pressure and impact on the surface with a turn of the handle. Soft wash is an advertising gimmick that makes buyers feel warm and fuzzy

·
Chris
260 Posts
Soft wash is an advertising gimmick that makes buyers feel warm and fuzzy
Wow, what an ignorant statement. Do you really understand the soft wash process, or are you just spewing something that popped in your head?

Not trying to be a D***, but you are wrong.

·
Chris
260 Posts
understand that while you want to clean the outside,detergents can ruin the weather resistant barrier thats just behind it
That is a good point... I should do a test on the common house wraps in my area.

Do you know for a fact that sodium hypochlorite (bleach) at a 1-2% solution or soap deteriorates house wraps?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i don't specifically know about bleach,but many housewraps use a coating that gives it it's bulk water hold out ability and detergents/surfactants can affect this as it can the asphalt in felt

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree: Chuck Bergman Pressure Cleaning 33981

Each method has it's time and place, for some siding types and all roofing I would go with the soft wash. Most concrete applications come out better using pressure.
This reply is right on the mark!
I have been pressure washing for a living here in SW Florida since 1989.
Anyone who has ever pressure washed a shingled roof has to admit-at ANY pressure setting, that will clean shingles, there is considerable granule loss.
After a few years of blowing granules off of roofs, I learned to soft-wash them and have done so, starting in 1991 and have never run into any damage caused using this method. That is IF YOU PROTECT THE PLANTS BELOW. After thousands of roof cleanings, with the utmost plant care, I have killed 5 plants total and I replaced them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You say:

- When you are "soft washing" you are using detergent to kill the mold and mildew then rinsing away the particulates left over from that process.

- When you are using pressurized water only to remove mold and mildew all you are doing is removing the surface mold and mildew, not the mold and mildew spores themselves.

When we pressure wash we are syphoning a cleaning solution through our machines so the house is get the same cleaning solution as the soft wash. Just because its pressure washing doesn't mean that we don't use chemicals or cleaning solutions. Here in FL, you can clean a house unless you kill the mold, which we normally use SH for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ohiohomedoctor said:
Unless it is hurrucane season, or 120` outside, or spring break..
Your a pretty negative individual. all i was saying was winter doesnt stop us from working since its 70 all winter long. Spring break doesnt effect us, if its 120 we still work (its never 120) and hurricane season actually helps us. Its not like a hurricane hits everyday during season. Actuall havent been hit with a hurricane in several years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts