Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working for a home builder for 10 months now. I have had a chance to be apart of all trades, and all aspect of new construction. (except plumbing, electrical, HVAC) From framing, finish work, finial clean, punch outs, running subs, and getting leads to build a new home. I have worked my way through the ranks and now my partner and I run a crew of up to 5 guys. We also do all the kitchen cabinet design, layout and installs (hourly), so far 6 houses with 2 more going in a week. I am also project managing an eviction from a rental property that the tenets destroyed before leaving. We, have our own tools and can fully sustain ourselves on a job site.

I get paid $14.00 an hour. (which I had to fight for ..was getting $10.00) I will use my own money to say buy a box of nails, or some item to finish whatever is needed (lately I have been getting signed checks instead of using my own money) which I do get back when I turn my receipts in on pay day.

On top of all this my partner, me, and most of the time my crew are all active duty Marines. We push over 40, hours a week on a live fire rifle range teaching recruits how to shoot. Then, most weeks we push another 40+ hours a week building. We can run circles around some the bobo drunk high crews that are employed, the only thing that holds us back is experience!!

Anyways long story short should I be be getting paid $14 an hour? I understand my experience and knowledge is lacking, and I am part time (we call our selves 2nd shift because we do not get to work till usually around 2pm.)

Maybe I am just being a whinny girl, however I am thankful for my boss giving me a shot to work and learn.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Maybe I am just being a whinny girl, however I am thankful for my boss giving me a shot to work and learn.
Yes, you are. 10 months is not long enough to make any demands.. especially if you are only working part time. You need more skin in the game in order to increase your value and ability to be employed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you guys are doing all that ya he is taking advantage of you guys. He should be giving you a credit card to buy stuff or set up an account at a supply depot. Even better than that you call him and he has the stuff delivered to the site your on. Its ridiculous you should have to finance his materials till pay day

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the post pretty much somes me up, but I am 24 years old been in the Corps for 6 years now plan to get out in 1 year (365 days early from my contract) I for some reason had the wild idea to find my way into some form of a trade, pretty much because my skill set the Marine Corps gave is a very limited in the civilian world. I want to learn as much as I possibly can before I get out of the Marine Corps.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I for some reason had the wild idea to find my way into some form of a trade, pretty much because my skill set the Marine Corps gave is a very limited in the civilian world.
So all of that stuff that they show on the TV commercials is a bunch of baloney? SAY IT AIN'T SO! It seems like the commercials say so much about how they prepare you for the "real world" and give you skills that will be high in demand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll tuck my tail between my legs and keep on trucking then I really have no idea how a pay scale might work, I get experience means alot in the business, I want nothing but to learn and gain it, and asking for a pay raise and when it might be appropriate is new to me.

As for the Corps preparing me it has in ways, but it has only given me a few options for other employment, cop, security , contracting, and a weapons instructor.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I can say two things here! You will need time, to get more jobs under your belt, things go good, and things go bad! Time will be the best learning time frame.

As per your, lost for words, with the USMC I am PROUD of that!!!

I, currently have a son, 21 years old, in the Marines, as well, got 3+ years in, for a 6 year thing. He did sign up on his 18th birthday! I was ready to chit a brick when I heard that!! Very proud of him.

THANK-YOU for your service and time.

Dave in PA

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
First of all, Thanks for your service.

To answer your question, 14 an hour for someone with less than a year experience seems pretty fair to me, at least in my market.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'll tuck my tail between my legs and keep on trucking then I really have no idea how a pay scale might work, I get experience means alot in the business, I want nothing but to learn and gain it, and asking for a pay raise and when it might be appropriate is new to me.

As for the Corps preparing me it has in ways, but it has only given me a few options for other employment, cop, security , contracting, and a weapons instructor.
Go for the future my friend, don't look back! I have done the " I should of, I could of, I might be able to" I have, and still do bad things,, we all do.
Be safe, do what is needed in your mind!

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
OK, now we have a little back ground on you.

1st, Thanks for serving the country :thumbsup:

Keep your head up and learn everything you can.

At some point you'll know when the times right to get more money or move on. keep a log book of the stuff you have learned for that week. Also a log about what you would like to learn.

you'll get there.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
the post pretty much somes me up, but I am 24 years old been in the Corps for 6 years now plan to get out in 1 year (365 days early from my contract) I for some reason had the wild idea to find my way into some form of a trade, pretty much because my skill set the Marine Corps gave is a very limited in the civilian world. I want to learn as much as I possibly can before I get out of the Marine Corps.
Serious question, why leave the corp? Why not make that a career?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

If you want to make more than 14 bucks an hour with 10 months experience construction isn't for you! :laughing:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Corps had changed they do not want my breed any more.... They want to kiss hands and shake babies....wait shake hands and kiss babies... I do not agree with the direction the we are going and I no longer want to be part of it....... Before people freak out!! I am proud to say I am a Marine I would not change anything I have done in my career this transition to peace time has happened over and over again in history an I know that... it's a cycle and now it's time for my breed to hang it up till the next time we are needed.... There will always be a next time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to know if my scope of work and my value is at $14 an hour...I have a full time income... It is not fully about the money, it is about what I can learn in this rare job opportunity that I have stumbled apon... I am getting out pretty soon and I can not support my family at $14 an hour for only 40 hours a week....like I said before I have no idea how to work a pay scale....everyone else around me gets more $$$$ and does half the work they do not run a crew estimate materials design kitchens and so on....

·
Super Moderator
24,726 Posts
Stand Down Marine....

When you had 10 months in the Corp were you FULLY qualified to teach fellow Marines the art of war?

Probably not, but not due to lack of desire...

Just a lack of experience....

10 months in a construction job dows not give you the experience or ability to run crews, subs etc....

Earning your bones in the construction industry is not all that different from your current employer....takes time, dedication & experience.

How many years does your Gunny have in?

Semper Fi Marine...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts