Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Mass and have been A hanger for 9 yrs. 999 out of 1000 jiobs I do are blueboard . Whats up with that how come you guys all do sheetrock and mudd.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
So how many jobs have you actually done? If you have been doing a job a week for 30 years you may have a claim for 999 out of a 1000. :whistling

About the only place I have seen blue board around here is hospitals, and not even there lately.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've done no where near 1000 jobs but we plaster everything except for when only a tiny bit of wall is affected by a renovation and it's not worth the cost of the plasterer showing up for a 10 minute job.

Although, my drywall finishing skills are so bad it's starting to look worth it for any size job...

I have no idea why Mass is still hanging on to plastered walls but I'm glad we have. I prefer them. I just hope the old timers keep teaching the young guys so we don't run out of plasterers.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I just hope the old timers keep teaching the young guys so we don't run out of plasterers.
That's the problem around here, it's a dying art. There are only a couple of companys around that plaster at all, they also do stucco, but mostly what they do these days is EIFS. If it wasn't for EIFS they would have been out of business long ago.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
I could have learned traditional high production plastering, but you can't do it alone and do it right... so I was taught trowel work with durabond, and a little introduction to decorative work. His plaster timing was all related according to taking smoke breaks.

I think during his 38 year career as a union plasterer, he taught 8 guys plastering (all his crew at one time or another), and taught only one decorative plaster.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yes us replacement window contractors in mass enjoy cutting tapered extension jambs thanks to the plasterers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes us replacement window contractors in mass enjoy cutting tapered extension jambs thanks to the plasterers
From what I've read here, that's not just true in plaster country. It seems lots of guys have the same trouble with drywall (although I don't know personally). I think drywall is easier to smash with the hammer to soften it up a bit. Plaster, you have to cut it first to smash it with the hammer or it will crack. Uses a lot more knife blades that's for sure. But I don't do production trim so I don't have to resort to this method very often.

It's definitely worse with the old wood lath and plaster. Wall thicknesses are all over the place with that.

If you're doing paint grade trim on new construction, you can have the extension jambs put on first (or factory attached to the window) and the plasterer can use the extension jamb as a grounding strip. Not always perfect, but often more than close enough.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
From what I've read here, that's not just true in plaster country.
It's definitely worse with the old wood lath and plaster. Wall thicknesses are all over the place with that.
Plasterers used to plumb, square and flush window and door openings for a quality job. I've seen quite a few non-quality old jobs. And Lord help you if you have to cut in for a new door or window, you're going to have however much the framing was out.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
The last time I used blue board was in 2004 when we were hit by 3 separate hurricanes in my area. I was doing a two large hotels damaged by hurricanes in Cocoa Beach and Orlando. While doing repairs from the first hurricane we were hit by two more. There was no drywall anywhere in Florida, so the GC ordered three semis full of blue board from up North.

·
Registered
48 Posts
very common in southwest PA. Had my house plastered 2 years ago. I would call it more of a North East US thing, but is sporadic in other regions.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pretty much every single residential job I've worked on got blue boarded, whether it's a bathroom remodel or a 3000+ sq' house. The only time I see drywall is on commercial jobs and it's 5/8".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So how many jobs have you actually done? If you have been doing a job a week for 30 years you may have a claim for 999 out of a 1000. :whistling

About the only place I have seen blue board around here is hospitals, and not even there lately.
Ive been doing it for 8yrs so I don't know 5,000 .I work six days a week and average 60 sheets a day in new construction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty much every single residential job I've worked on got blue boarded, whether it's a bathroom remodel or a 3000+ sq' house. The only time I see drywall is on commercial jobs and it's 5/8".
Quincy aye do you know Brian B.I worked with him over the summer , good dude.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts