Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems strange the US still has no sign in sight for these 4.0ah battery's and I'm wondering if its because almost every other brand is now on 5AH + packs or about to release them and makita have left it so long they are already behind before its even being released.

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
Seems strange the US still has no sign in sight for these 4.0ah battery's and I'm wondering if its because almost every other brand is now on 5AH + packs or about to release them and makita have left it so long they are already behind before its even being released.
They are available here but only certain stores.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was excited about the two battery deal because

It got thinking maybe it can be used with only one battery

But I see no mention of this

If it can only be used with two batteries in
And not the option of just one then that's a let down

·
Registered
683 Posts
You cannot use just one battery in the X2 rotary hammer, so I have to say it won't be an option on the saw. It makes sense though. You need the 36V power to run the saw or rotary hammer. I can say the X2 rotary hammer is like a corded tool. We will see what the saw brings. I do like the fact that it is a true 7-1/4" and not the typical 6-1/2".

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jiffy said:
You cannot use just one battery in the X2 rotary hammer, so I have to say it won't be an option on the saw. It makes sense though. You need the 36V power to run the saw or rotary hammer. I can say the X2 rotary hammer is like a corded tool. We will see what the saw brings. I do like the fact that it is a true 7-1/4" and not the typical 6-1/2".
That drill is a heavy SOB though. Was looking at it at my dealer. They had a deal going on the last display model. If I was gonna get one I would wait until the new packs get released. If they ever do.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That drill is a heavy SOB though. Was looking at it at my dealer. They had a deal going on the last display model. If I was gonna get one I would wait until the new packs get released. If they ever do.
It's balanced well with batteries in it, and it actually works. There are those times where you need to drill big holes or a lot of 1/4" and running a cord is time consuming.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like Makita might be going right for the 5.0ah batteries and that's why the 4.0's have taken so long to hit the market.

http://toolguyd.com/makita-18v-lxt-5-0ah-battery/
That explains the delay. 4AH as just way to late to the game even a year ago. they would be idiots to release a 4AH. They just best make sure they fit all my current tools as if they dont i will be buying into a complete new brands from everything i own thats makita including my corded tools.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Alright, I lost three bl1830 packs in the span of two days, so I think I am done with Makita, is there any way to get them warrantied?

·
Registered
683 Posts
That explains the delay. 4AH as just way to late to the game even a year ago. they would be idiots to release a 4AH. They just best make sure they fit all my current tools as if they dont i will be buying into a complete new brands from everything i own thats makita including my corded tools.
It sounds like the new 4.0ah or 5.0ah batteries will only work with tools that have the built in cutoff protection. I think most tools made in the past 3 year or so have that from what I have read.

I don't see how switching brands will save any money or be cost effective. Technology moves forward and changes are made. It pissed me off to buy a new power cord for my phone because the new phones take a different power cord.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jiffy said:
It sounds like the new 4.0ah or 5.0ah batteries will only work with tools that have the built in cutoff protection. I think most tools made in the past 3 year or so have that from what I have read. I don't see how switching brands will save any money or be cost effective. Technology moves forward and changes are made. It pissed me off to buy a new power cord for my phone because the new phones take a different power cord.
From what I have heard the battery's are designed only to fit the newer tools and as far as I can tell from looking at the tools at my dealer nothing has changed with the design if the tools other than the battery being designed not to fit the older tools. Some if them newer tools still have only 2 battery contacts yet can take the newer battery.

I think its more along the lines of making you buy new tool models to get the extra capacity than it is they have redesign the tool to make it better.

I have heard you can cut the tabs off which stop you from inserting them but I'm not 100% on that yet until I see for my self.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RobertCDF said:
Look for the star on the bottom of the tool, if it has a star it'll work with the new 4.0ah batteries. I imagine the same is true for the 5.0ah batteries.
It also works if there's not a star and the base is yellow. I think these are the 2 prong bases which is why I'm confused it won't work with tools with black bases and 2 prongs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts