Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WICKED WOODCHUCKER
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a used box truck. What are some advantages and disadvantages on these trucks compaired to cargo vans? i just need more room, and need to be more organized

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I will tell you what. I do most of my work out of my Ranger, but a neighbor of mine has a 1972 Chevy Box truck he restored to pull is bike to the track with....everynow and then I borrow it....For the price, I may end up getting one just to make delievery of shop made goods easier in bad weather.

·
Contractor
4,764 Posts
fuel mileage-I get 9.5mpg with an 02 chevy 3500 box. The wear on the suspension is also increased because of the weight issue. I was surprised to find mine weighs in around 8500lbs-tools and shelves add up quickly. A sliding access door to the cargo bay has been a wonderful treat-it allows the passenger compartment to cool down/heat up more quickly then cooling/heating the entire truck. The advantage of advertising on your truck is obvious.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I purchased a new 2006 ford cutaway van( looks like a plumbers van). I love it. I can store sooooooooo much stuff on it(materials and tools). Its the ultimate solution for someone with sooooooo many tools. If you organize everything approprietly, you will be satisfied. Just leave enough room for materials. Ill post some pics of my setup soon.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just got rid of mine. Have to say out of all the vans I liked it the best, but the guys didnt like driving it. Got to the point that it was used maybe three months out of the year. I just eliminated 3 company vehicles.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I like the utility body with the utility cap (side boxes) on top, on a dually. The Body boxes are double deep on a dually. You can have all your tools and parts properly stored in an easily accessible (from the outside) manner while having a 4' X 9' enclosed bed for materials.

I switched from a regular pick-up to this in 1994. My only regret is that I didn't start with it back in 1979.

·
Contractor
4,764 Posts
here's another thing to think about-my old box van has a roll up door and I love using it-it's easy to operate and wide. the new van has doors on the rear and it's just not as easy to work out of...but I'm still making the transition from old truck to new van.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts