Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To do what you say you're gonna do?

Worked out 2 different trade situations on our new shop. First one was with the electrician. He was Johnny on the spot when it came to hooking up my service, but when it came down to actually doing the wiring, we scheduled to do it, I get a call the morning he was supposed to be here, he starts coming up with bull**** excuses. This was Friday & I had people lined up to spend their days off on the weekend to help start hanging the lid & blowing insulation. I went ahead & wired the damn thing myself so I could stay on schedule. Piss on his floors, he can do em himself.:censored:

Yesterday, my spray foam guy replys to my text, he's gonna be here at 10 am to get started. So I change my plans so I can be here to get him started & will head to the old shop afterward. At 1 pm, still a no show, with no phone call, no text, no nothing.:censored: I don't give a **** that he wasn't here yesterday, but it pisses me off that I missed a days work waiting around on his ass.

I understand people are busy & stuff comes up, but is it really that hard to do what you say you're gonna do? If these guys treat their paying clients like this, how do they stay in business?

BTW, I went first with my spray foam guy. His new stairs are complete & he's tickled with our work.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
To do what you say you're gonna do?

Worked out 2 different trade situations on our new shop. First one was with the electrician. He was Johnny on the spot when it came to hooking up my service, but when it came down to actually doing the wiring, we scheduled to do it, I get a call the morning he was supposed to be here, he starts coming up with bull**** excuses. This was Friday & I had people lined up to spend their days off on the weekend to help start hanging the lid & blowing insulation. I went ahead & wired the damn thing myself so I could stay on schedule. Piss on his floors, he can do em himself.:censored:

Yesterday, my spray foam guy replys to my text, he's gonna be here at 10 am to get started. So I change my plans so I can be here to get him started & will head to the old shop afterward. At 1 pm, still a no show, with no phone call, no text, no nothing.:censored: I don't give a **** that he wasn't here yesterday, but it pisses me off that I missed a days work waiting around on his ass.

I understand people are busy & stuff comes up, but is it really that hard to do what you say you're gonna do? If these guys treat their paying clients like this, how do they stay in business?

BTW, I went first with my spray foam guy. His new stairs are complete & he's tickled with our work.
Amen. I'm at my wits end on a couple jobs. Electrician stretched a panel upgrade over 8 weeks (client: never say you're not in a rush). Weekly a new excuse for how busy things are....They FINALLY came Sat. to install the grounding rods (heavy rain threatening, of course) and forgot to bring a sledge hammer. I got there with mine fast as I could so it wouldn't delay another week. Two weeks before they forgot to call for the yard to be marked. Today is final inspection, which he said would be yesterday....until yesterday morning when I got a text that it would be today. I wonder if it will happen today. I've got dozens and dozens test messages invested in this job and I'm sick of it.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,083 Posts
I run into this all the time. It can wipe out my whole day for a 1 hr baby sit, and then the baby doesn't show.:mad:

I recently dumped a locksmith I've used for almost 30 years because they were too busy to do anything for over a month -always going to be "next week".

·
spazman
Flooring
779 Posts
I hear stories like this all the time from cutomers. I don't understand what is so hard about being somewhere when you say you will. I understand that sometimes Murphy's law can bite a contractor in the butt and make you late but that is why we have cell phones. I have found that most customers are very understanding if you just give them the courtesy of a phone call as long as you just don't drag things out forever. Pinwheel I'm guessing that you would be a forgiving cutomer if those idiots had just taken the time to make a 2 minute phone call. I don't blame you for being mad. If they can't handle a small detail like a phone call then what other important details will these skip. Sorry if I'm ranting but they just seem lazy and incosiderate. If you weren't so far away I would come help you.

·
GC/carpenter
43,893 Posts
I said this before, but all I have to do is just show up for the bid and I'm already one up on my competition. You don't know how many clients tell me that they tried to get three bids, but I'm the only one that showed. So it's actually a double edge sword for me. Because I've had your same problems with subs, but it is how I also get A lot of my work.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,308 Posts
With the ubiquity of cell phones there's no excuse not to keep everyone in the loop.

When running leads the rule was if we were going to be more than 5 minutes late, call the customer and give them the option of reschduling.
They very rarely would and were always appreciative of the fact that their time wasn't being taken for granted.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Are these all contra deals or are you paying for their services?

If they are a trade of services only you become a very low priority.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are these all contra deals or are you paying for their services?

If they are a trade of services only you become a very low priority.
Straight up trading invoices from the electrician. I offered to pay for his services, he's the one who wanted to trade. Sure glad I didn't go first with him.

Spray foam guy, my invoice to him covered 1/3 of his bid, I'll be writing a check for the rest.

I get that I'm low priority, that's not my *****. My ***** is not doing what you say you're going to do & screwing with my schedule. If anyone should understand a busy schedule, it should be another businessman.

Insulation guy did call me yesterday morning & he had a **** storm to solve with the job he's currently on. That's excusable to me, I understand that. He was very apologetic & is gonna be here first thing this morning.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I texted the electrician last night to find out how our Tuesday inspection went. Didn't get scheduled until Wed. (today, supposedly). No call, no text from him. And yet this guy is already inquiring about other jobs.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Pin, it may be for the best that you wired the building yourself.

The electrician may have been out chasing a dollar without the true financial means to do his floors at his home in the first place.

If he did wire your building it may have been excellent work but chances are you would have been most likely disappointed.

Then you would be on the hook to go do a great job at his house because that's the only way you roll and in turn the deal turns very one sided in his favor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Clearly your electrician and insulation guys do not live by the golden rule - "Do unto others.........". I value my time and the time of others. Therefore, if I am unable to show up at a prearranged time for ANY reason I extend the courtesy of a phone call or text to let the other party know. I sure wish all people lived by this rule. Sorry for your frustrations Pin.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Pin this will teach ya to never take the lowest bidder again. :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I hate trading. Pay me and I will pay you.
No sh!t and for this exact reason, contra deals are always the lowest on the priority list.

I realize there is no excuse for poor communication...but I think you brought this on yourself a little by using the barter system.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
honesty and integrity don't seem to go good in construction.
say what you do and do what you say

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
honesty and integrity don't seem to go good in construction.
say what you do and do what you say
Says "Mr. I'll undercut anyone just to take down my competition".....

Are you trying to live out the dark side of that statement?

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Says "Mr. I'll undercut anyone just to take down my competition".....

Are you trying to live out the dark side of that statement?
what does that have to do with being on time?

if I have better prices than you, to bad

1 - 20 of 32 Posts