Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Is it possible to split a main service

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pinwheel 
#1 ·
I know the title sucks, [emoji51]

This is what is like to know, I have 200 amp service to my property line.

From my meter I have a 100 amp line for the house. Originally I was going to trench from my house to the shop a sub panel at 50 amps.

Then I realized, it's about 80 yards closer to trench from the meter to the shop and skip the house. With the benefit of having 100 amp in the shop. (not that id ever need it).

Im not an electrician, but I imagine I can't run both services from the meter box. But I was wondering if I could install an exterior junction box on the other side of the pole and run 200 amp from the meter to the junction box, then 100 amps to the house, and 100 amps to the shop?

I'm not going to do this myself, but I'm just wanting to know if this is a legit way.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
....... But I was wondering if I could install an exterior junction box on the other side of the pole and run 200 amp from the meter to the junction box, then 100 amps to the house, and 100 amps to the shop?..........
Not without installing two 100a breakers to protect the two feeders.

Reactions: JT Wood
#3 ·
If your thinking of making a meter tap my understanding is it's OK but requires a meter that has this extra lug because each feed requires it's own lug. No stacking wires.

This is not necessarily current information.

When I did resi installs in the 70's-80's we often made meter taps because in a finished home access to the fuse box was sometimes difficult. But we just stacked the wires. Not allowed anymore but I think the meter box with the xtra lug is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.