Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else ready for kickoff?
I'm going through withdrawals and need some college football for my fix:thumbup:
44 days till UGA @ Oklahoma State

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I feel ya:thumbsup:

Micheal Irving did a show looking for a cowboy. Did you see that? It was ok.

I may be watching college ball only next year.

I made a promise that if Micheal Vick takes another snap I am done with the NFL. I intend to keep it. Might hurt but is what it is.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Fortunately, the NFL will be over in another 9 months or so. - Almost as bad as NASCAR, which is a blend of the WWE/WWF and Roller Derby.

At least the NFL does not allow sponsor names on the suits or crew mwmbers, but it does allow a generous supply of caps, for what that is worth.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I made a promise that if Micheal Vick takes another snap I am done with the NFL. I intend to keep it. Might hurt but is what it is.
not a big fan of the NFL myself but I do watch it since theres no college games on Sunday.
Vick will be playing for the Raiders if not this year than next year. guaranteed.

college ball is exponentially more exciting than the NFL. IMO
the kids are still playing for the love of the game for the most part

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
mike -

I understand your comments about the enthusiasm for college football, although I got tired of the cars flags on them on I95 going both directions through the years. - I worked for/with a guy from SC (good old boy type) that had a sticker on his car that had a "There Is Only One Carolina" on the bumper. We put a Clemson "Tiger Paw" sticker on it and he was impossible until he finally found some to blame for it (not me - I watched and cheered).

The only thing similar are the Green Bay fans that jamb the radio signal at the MN/WI boarder (15 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul and 300 miles from Green Bay). Fortunately, everyone is tired the "savior" hype now. They don't mind him for the one year he has left in his body since he can or could contribute and give some advice and emotion.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fortunately, the NFL will be over in another 9 months or so. - Almost as bad as NASCAR, which is a blend of the WWE/WWF and Roller Derby.

At least the NFL does not allow sponsor names on the suits or crew mwmbers, but it does allow a generous supply of caps, for what that is worth.
sponsors names on uniforms .... soon to come ... check out the Bears practice uniforms

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mike -

I understand your comments about the enthusiasm for college football, although I got tired of the cars flags on them on I95 going both directions through the years. - I worked for/with a guy from SC (good old boy type) that had a sticker on his car that had a "There Is Only One Carolina" on the bumper. We put a Clemson "Tiger Paw" sticker on it and he was impossible until he finally found some to blame for it (not me - I watched and cheered).

The only thing similar are the Green Bay fans that jamb the radio signal at the MN/WI boarder (15 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul and 300 miles from Green Bay). Fortunately, everyone is tired the "savior" hype now. They don't mind him for the one year he has left in his body since he can or could contribute and give some advice and emotion.
here in the south SEC football is more of a religion than a sport. I guess its just one more of our ******* ways.
theres nothing like spending a Fall Saturday in Athens, GA with 92,000 like minded people:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
College football can be a religion.

A few years ago, I drove from MN to FL and returned a week later. I had to go around Chicago on to the South Bend area and then through Columbus (on a week-end). I never could get a hotel room. Unfortunately, I left FL on the next week-end and not get a room either until TN since it was fall and football season.

Madison, WI was a zoo at times a few years ago because it had 35,000 students and 10,000 politicians/older lobbyists in a small town of 100,000 and was within easy driving (under 5 hours) from Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame. That was when they served 6% beer in the student union and a 18 year drinking age. Playboy rated the great U.S. towns for parties and Madison was not listed - they do not rank amateurs with professionals. It has been cleaned up, but the traditions seem to survive.

There are many places for great football, but they seem to be too crowded and over-run by alumni. The Rose Bowl in Pasadena is still my favorite because of the location, grounds and situation. I still look for an excuse to go there for the weekend and enjoy everything, no matter who is playing. - Park in the early AM by the stadium, walk up the hill to see the parade, walk back down and grill or eat before the game and jump in the nearby car before the traffic jam starts to miss the problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cant get here fast enough for me. Love hearing that Ohio State is overated stuff for 5-6 months.

Dont get me wrong, we deserve it to some extent, but damn come up with something new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got hooked on fantasy football now I can't get enough

·
Freelance Gynecologist
94 Posts

Wow....no NFL at all.....I don't know if I could do that.....even though I have an extreme dislike for Michael Vick and hope he just goes far far away. I coildn't sit around and watch bowling while my Patriots are headed for another Super Bowl win. :thumbup:

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
There is a football team in Indiana? huh.
Yeah. We got a decent little team.
I mean I could drive all the way to Chicago and watch them lose, or I could drive to Detroit and watch them lose, or I could drive to Ohio and watch their teams lose. I would rather watch Indy, atleast they win a few.
My wife ordered me Colts tickets a few years back, they were playing the Texans. The problem was that the game she bought tickets for was in Houston..........
Lucky for her the guy refunded her money.
I was willing to fly to Houston if she would buy me a plane ticket, but she wouldnt go for it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am a huge college football fan and being from Texas high school football can be exciting as well. Here's a link to the high school stadium where I live http://www.mansfieldisd.org/athleticsweb/misdstadium/misdstadiumhome.htm I have been fortunate to be in Athens, Ga on a game day as well as Baton Rouge, Jacksonville, Knoxville, Tallahassee, Austin, Lubbock, College Station, Norman, Stillwater, Champaigne, Pittsburgh, Columbia, Lawrence and many more. Must say, although my heart is in the Big 12, nothing comes close to the SEC's game day excitement.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
cfl has started up here, i think there into at least week 3 or so.. too boring now to even bother trying to follow. the only time i pay any attention is when the local news is going on about the latest push to get a team in my city (halifax). theyve been trying since the early 80's and it isnt going to happen. the league is barely staying afloat as is and it definitely wont happen here because were too small a market and besides were a hockey town. cfl has had exibition games here in the past and they stated the ticket sales were phenomanal. truth be told it was just enough to have a team break even for running the game when looking at the numbers compared to the bigger market teams

as for nfl. when iget time ill watch pittsburgh, green bay and the giants, havent been following it nearly as much the last few years do to downtime restraints and such.. just too busy

·
Painter
969 Posts
I hear ya I'm ready for some football. I can't wait for the Browns to win the superbowl this year. :clap:
Yeah the browns have as much of a chance as the lions ;)

I've never gotten into the no fun league. I don't watch baseball, nascar or pro basketball, so that leaves me with college football and basketball. I have been to a few Detroit basketball games but that is just because the tickets were free.

Wife knows from Sept till Nov she can't plan anything on Saturdays.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts