1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
General Contractor
8,112 Posts
It's not a rip-off, its $300 a year listing, better then yellow pages. I got a few big jobs being listed with them.:thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
8,112 Posts
It's not a rip-off, its $300 a year listing, better then yellow pages. I got a few big jobs being listed with them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Custom
13,965 Posts
I don't think I've ever met someone who got a job from a listing in the BBB... first for everything... not sayin' they don't exist... :whistling:

More the exception than the rule...

·
Registered
Custom
13,965 Posts
Holy crap... there's two of you! I feel like I am watching the M&M/Santa commercial where they both find out the other exists... :laughing:

I have honestly never met anyone who actually got business from a BBB listing... go figure... :blink:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I don't know anyone who ever generated leads though BBB, but get a bad grade and see how much you lose.

Do I think it is a scam? Absolutely YES. I find it truly hard to believe it is non profit and I also don't believe their rating system is accurate, publicized grading system- no substantiation of facts before they are publicized, and only with a Court Docket # they go away, short of the three year window.

Example:
Company A gets 3,500+ complaints a year yet maintains an A+. Full time people solely playing that game.

Company B receives less than 0.001% (3), give two chits for their process and refuses to play their irrelevant bull chit games scores an F. Small time company without time, manpower or will to play.

BBB is no way a "Resolution" of any disagreement and usually gets started by a homeowner that is upset, not a praise singer.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
It's a racket. And a ripoff.

That said, I've heard quite a few, mainly older people, put great stock in someone who had BBB on their advertisement.
Ditto! Ditto!

Put another way similar to what I said in another thread, I can't see a good BBB rating ever working against you. But in spite of how much of a sham it is, it can work in your favor.

·
General Contractor
8,112 Posts
Holy crap... there's two of you! I feel like I am watching the M&M/Santa commercial where they both find out the other exists... :laughing:

I have honestly never met anyone who actually got business from a BBB listing... go figure... :blink:
Bro, see what you been missing... You should join :laughing:

I don't know how it is anywhere else, but around me the majority of people are corporate employees or college professors and it seems this is the first place they go to check if there is any complaints.

For example Service Magic, they're not with Better Business Bureau, but they received a s*^t load of complains in NJ Total 583 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years and 202 closed in last 12 months -

Complaints-advertising / Sales Issues165
Billing / Collection Issues169
Delivery Issues1
Guarantee / Warranty Issues 5
Problems with Product / Service 243
Total Closed Complaints 583

People will go there first before they go to Angie's list WTF that is or other sites... I'm not complaining I got a few nice jobs from being listed there, one for 64k... Not to mention its a write-off :thumbsup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
BBB=Blows Big Balls.

I had a customer complain to them and they made me give her most of the deposit back without even talking to me or seeing the work done.I Tile shower area to take out and wrote in the contract that if there was damage to anything under the tile it would cost an additional amount.We'll there was and my price to fix the damaged area was not that much.She took a week to decide and i told her i wasn't budging on the price so she called the BBB on me.I got paid for the work i did plus materials.I had to refund her the rest of the deposit of a lousy $150.I had to have her re sign another contract saying the matter was settled and she had to call the BBB to tell them it was resolved.I couldnt believe they take the customers side so easily.F**** them they are just another corrupt part of the system.

·
General Contractor
8,112 Posts
shakey0818 said:
BBB=Blows Big Balls. I had a customer complain to them and they made me give her most of the deposit back without even talking to me or seeing the work done.I Tile shower area to take out and wrote in the contract that if there was damage to anything under the tile it would cost an additional amount.We'll there was and my price to fix the damaged area was not that much.She took a week to decide and i told her i wasn't budging on the price so she called the BBB on me.I got paid for the work i did plus materials.I had to refund her the rest of the deposit of a lousy $150.I had to have her re sign another contract saying the matter was settled and she had to call the BBB to tell them it was resolved.I couldnt believe they take the customers side so easily.F**** them they are just another corrupt part of the system.
If they didn't talk to you how did they make you give the deposit back?

I know for a fact they always have a mitigation between both parties.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
BBB=Blows Big Balls.

I had a customer complain to them and they made me give her most of the deposit back without even talking to me or seeing the work done.I Tile shower area to take out and wrote in the contract that if there was damage to anything under the tile it would cost an additional amount.We'll there was and my price to fix the damaged area was not that much.She took a week to decide and i told her i wasn't budging on the price so she called the BBB on me.I got paid for the work i did plus materials.I had to refund her the rest of the deposit of a lousy $150.I had to have her re sign another contract saying the matter was settled and she had to call the BBB to tell them it was resolved.I couldnt believe they take the customers side so easily.F**** them they are just another corrupt part of the system.
How did they "make" you do anything? If Service Master (or whatever their alias is now) told you to do something...would you?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts