Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
6,013 Posts
During hurricane season, many homeowners start talking about generators again. For some homeowners, it's just a really nice convenience to have. For others it may be a matter of survival.

What about contractors though? Is it more than just a convenience?

Could you even do your job without one?

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I don't need one nowadays, as all my work is in occupied houses. Back when I was doing a lot of new construction, I still wouldn't run my tools on a genset. No power, no work. I've heard too many stories about tools burning up. Is it true? Who knows? That being said, I do have a generator (actually 2) and a back-wire setup at the house for when the power goes out (about once a year :mad:). It's nice to be kicking back, watching TV, while the neighbors are lighting candles :laughing:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
if you run cheap generators, yes it can be a problem. if you run through a power cleaner, it does do a pretty good job. Just depends on your power needs, you could just run a battery bank as well.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I run a 3000w Honda at least weekly. Got by many years without it, but after using one over 5 years it would be difficult to live without one now.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I can, I'm setup with enough cordless tools that I can rough in both combustible and non combustible builds with out any power.

But, a generator really makes lie easier and faster, so I carry a little inverter.

Reactions: admin

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Many moons ago,I would drag my generator out to job sites with no power. Not any more,I tell them to schedule the temp. power set up with the electric company BEFORE the hole is even dug. I do not want to burn up $ 60.00 bucks in gas a week to supply a site with power + I do not want to have to listen to the drone of the gen. all day long and have to shout over it,nor do the neighbors.

If you do not have power,call me when you do.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
When I was framing. 10k Generac Generator mounted in the truck. Sized to turn over 2hp 240v Stand up Compressor, also mounted in the truck.

Quiet, no more gas cans, no grunting gensets and compressors from truck, more cfm than the 9hp rollair. Easily ran a crew of 4-5 and used less fuel that the portable counterparts.

LOL One of a kind set up for framing.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Most of the homes have electric that we work on. New construction we are last sub pretty much so power is usually in by time we get there. Used to carry around a generator just in case but switched to running machine off of inverters couple years ago in case no power.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This discussion about the importance of power generators for contractors is a good one. While researching an upcoming sponsor for the ContractorTalk community, I came across a page about permanently installed home back-up generators for home owners and it got me to thinkin; is this a service you could or should offer to your customers or is this something you already do?

These guys have some good products that I think are a good fit for the community. Have you checked them out? You can click the image below to see what else they offer.

Product Technology Electronic device Gadget Audio equipment

·
Always Learning
8,744 Posts
This discussion about the importance of power generators for contractors is a good one. While researching an upcoming sponsor for the ContractorTalk community, I came across a page about permanently installed home back-up generators for home owners and it got me to thinkin; is this a service you could or should offer to your customers or is this something you already do?

These guys have some good products that I think are a good fit for the community. Have you checked them out? You can click the image below to see what else they offer.

http://bit.ly/XyxzfO
Generac are some decent generators. We have had a few of them installed on some of our new builds. Also Kohler gennys are very good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Generac are some decent generators. We have had a few of them installed on some of our new builds. Also Kohler gennys are very good.
Are these generators standard equipment ona build or is there an option to add them? I'm curious as to how this works in hurricane country.

·
Always Learning
8,744 Posts
Are these generators standard equipment ona build or is there an option to add them? I'm curious as to how this works in hurricane country.
Optional. We are not in hurricane country but have one power company that is known for unreliability in the country. A winter storm could knock out power for some for days. I also know quite a few people in town that have installed their own Generac gennys.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Many high end homes in rural areas have Generac generators with an ATS speced on the plans.

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Lot's of those systems here in Florida. Mostly in high end homes.

I can see them becoming even more popular once the price point comes down for the machine and installation or if we get hit by a few more major hurricanes and it becomes a Florida building code to have them installed during construction.

The norm (not recommended) is to have a pig tail connected to your main electrical panel and run your whole house from a regular generator.

I've been thru several hurricanes here on the coast of Central Florida and been without power for several weeks at a time with a few of them. No fun at all. I can't even imagine not having a generator. :no:

For the record I used a Generac generator to get me through those hard times. :thumbup:

·
Kowboy
2,519 Posts
If I show up on your job, you'll have electricity and clean porta potties minimum, or I'm leaving. F/U and your contract, here's your money back, I'm keeping my dignity.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As I am in Hardwood Flooring, a generator on a job site is an indication that they aren't ready for me.
That being said, I DO have a Yamaha generator for our small toy hauler trailer. Quiet, super easy on fuel, and most importantly, runs the A/C.
When my wife and I get our mountain property, it will definitely have a backup power unit.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,297 Posts
Obviously, the majority of contractors don't work on new builds where there's no power available. Nevertheless, it's a good tool to have in the arsenal--for instance, when a new service panel is being installed at the same time other work is going on.

My clientele generally isn't at the Generac level; they tend to go with portable generators. I've set a number of them up with whole-house switchovers, and only a couple with the limited "emergency circuits" boxes. I discourage the latter since they tend to be disappointing and/or frustrating when all is said and done.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As I am in Hardwood Flooring, a generator on a job site is an indication that they aren't ready for me.
That being said, I DO have a Yamaha generator for our small toy hauler trailer. Quiet, super easy on fuel, and most importantly, runs the A/C.
When my wife and I get our mountain property, it will definitely have a backup power unit.
Yep, these are a must-have for these types of properties. Unless of course, you're into leaving ultra low footprints.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Around here, most of the higher-end homes ($1 mil+) have backup power. Mainly Generac and Kohler with the auto transfer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts