Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High end landscaper and deck builder seeks help on an as-needed basis thru the winter. This might mean 40 hours per week, or little if any, depending on weather and wintertime work demand. If you have a flexible schedule and experience in construction or landscaping, drop me an e-mail and tell me a bit about yourself. Single man preferred.

• Compensation: $8 per hour and up depending on experience
  • This is a part-time job.
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
good ol craigslist

·
Licensed, Bonded & Insur
442 Posts
IMO
I don't know why you guys find craigslist so amusing. It's not even funny any more. That just a bunch of low caliber people trying to get all the scraps left over from the high caliber ones. Why would you be surfing craigslist, just so you can kick the ones that are down already. Craigslist is worth the dirt beneath the dirt but yet you are there with them

·
Banned
538 Posts
IMO
I don't know why you guys find craigslist so amusing. It's not even funny any more. That just a bunch of low caliber people trying to get all the scraps left over from the high caliber ones. Why would you be surfing craigslist, just so you can kick the ones that are down already. Craigslist is worth the dirt beneath the dirt but yet you are there with them
speak for yourself chimmy chonga, i just got a job thanks to craigslist. i worked 52 hours this week. THANKS CRAIGSLIST!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey I just found a really good deal on a 36 foot horse trailer on there. It is good for something...

Yes, it is good for something.

I just picked up a 28' Werner Fiberglass ladder in excellent condition for a $100 & a 5k chimney repair project.......

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Hey I just found a really good deal on a 36 foot horse trailer on there. It is good for something...
How would one know what a good deal is for a 36' horse trailer?

I know nothing about horses, but if you need a 36' trailer for them, it would seem that you have quite a bit of them....

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yes, it is good for something.

I just picked up a 28' Werner Fiberglass ladder in excellent condition for a $100 & a 5k chimney repair project.......
Might I suggest you check out some business liquadations in your area? 100 bucks is high for that ladder, used, right now with so many businesses going down.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Might I suggest you check out some business liquadations in your area? 100 bucks is high for that ladder, used, right now with so many businesses going down.

Thanks for the tip Cdat, I'll definitely check into them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
High end landscaper and deck builder seeks help on an as-needed basis thru the winter. This might mean 40 hours per week, or little if any, depending on weather and wintertime work demand. If you have a flexible schedule and experience in construction or landscaping, drop me an e-mail and tell me a bit about yourself. Single man preferred.

• Compensation: $8 per hour and up depending on experience
  • This is a part-time job.
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
good ol craigslist

Minimum wage in Toronto is $9.50/hr. That's for standing behind a counter and asking "would you like Fries with that?"

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Min wage here is 8.55 a hour. I would rather recieve a weekly unemployment check that do this stuff for such a degrading pay scale.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I would rather recieve a weekly unemployment check that do this stuff for such a degrading pay scale
I wouldn't.

If you were desperate for work and job seeking an employer is much more likley to hire someone that is working a crap job then someone not working at all.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I wouldn't.

If you were desperate for work and job seeking an employer is much more likley to hire someone that is working a crap job then someone not working at all.
No I think you have it all wrong. I am just saying that a guy with my skill set concrete to finish. :whistling Would rather sit on UI than whore myself out for 8 dollars a hour.

Plus any way after 15 years you don't think I don't know how to cold call a construction ad for hire. :laughing: Come on a skilled guy could work a concrete job for a few weeks till the nice kooshie finish job starts up. Or simply work concrete to finish.

Don't try to convince me to take a pay cut that drastic would some how benefit future employment. You know for a skilled tradesmen.

Thanks but no thanks for your worldly advice. :thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,289 Posts
Y'know... maybe it's just the meaning of this holiday, but I need to get rid of a wad of Old Buzzard Preaching.

I was raised in a time when people with honor didn't accept handouts. They by god worked for what they got, and if it was well above subsistence level they were grateful--but didn't consider it a god-given right.

I honestly do not understand the mindset of the jobless guys who constantly come on here and snark about what people are offering for a day's work--while sitting in a comfortable home watching HDTV and playing on their high speed internet connection, paying their bills with money they haven't earned doled out to them by the government.

I've been jobless, and I've sat around the house waiting for a good offer. On occasion that's happened. On others it didn't, and I settled for what I could get. And that has always, without fail, led to getting more. There is always work of some kind available, even if it's not what you're trained for and would prefer to do.

So what? Man up and do what you need to do. To me, it's false pride to refuse to work for "less than you're worth." Real pride comes from making it without ever taking an unearned handout. Live by that, and there will be no man you can't look in the eye.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Truth, Brother Tinstaafl, truth. And the "entitlement generation" probably couldn't even begin to understand what you meant... let alone know the inner satisfaction of being able to say "I wouldn't even know HOW to begin to apply for the government dole."

.................... any more than they would understand your name. :thumbup: ;)

·
Banned
538 Posts
Y'know... maybe it's just the meaning of this holiday, but I need to get rid of a wad of Old Buzzard Preaching.

I was raised in a time when people with honor didn't accept handouts. They by god worked for what they got, and if it was well above subsistence level they were grateful--but didn't consider it a god-given right.

I honestly do not understand the mindset of the jobless guys who constantly come on here and snark about what people are offering for a day's work--while sitting in a comfortable home watching HDTV and playing on their high speed internet connection, paying their bills with money they haven't earned doled out to them by the government.

I've been jobless, and I've sat around the house waiting for a good offer. On occasion that's happened. On others it didn't, and I settled for what I could get. And that has always, without fail, led to getting more. There is always work of some kind available, even if it's not what you're trained for and would prefer to do.

So what? Man up and do what you need to do. To me, it's false pride to refuse to work for "less than you're worth." Real pride comes from making it without ever taking an unearned handout. Live by that, and there will be no man you can't look in the eye.
great post. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts