Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a project for a retail food client in Boulder, CO. The space is small (~650 sq ft) and it's a coffee shop with very limited seating (3 / 4 tables for a total of 8-10 seats max). Most of their clients will be take-out / to go.

There is access to a common area bathroom via a back hallway but, if the client is required to give the public access to this bathroom, a hallway would have to be created that severely cuts into their kitchen and storage square footage.

I've noticed a few spaces in town that are similar in size and don't offer public access to a bathroom. What are the requirements that determine whether bathroom access is obligatory or not?

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Quite a question for a 1st post. Your question is a building code question based on what type of occupancy your business is categorized for. A chines take out sells food but its over the counter might be labled a "business" use with no seating. A deli with seating may be categorized as an "A 3" use, assembly/restaurant. That triggers different requirement for egress, occupant load and bathroom.

Look in the IBC code book to find what "use" your business might be categorized under then speak to the local officials to see what they want for existing conditions. Most renovations trigger a code compliance upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
We have a Burger joint out here where you have to walk across a parking lot & use the facilities in the stop & rob.

The building has a grandfather clause with it. It has been repaired & fixed up a tad over the years, but still no toilet facilities inside.

It's a local jurisdiction call.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,303 Posts
Generally if you have tables you need a bathroom. If it's strictly take out, no dine in then you don't need public restrooms.

·
Kowboy
2,351 Posts
I would be much more concerned about the Americans with Disabilities Act than with code compliance. Civil rights trump the building code every time.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Ask the local ahj, But i am thinking you need a restroom, And as cowboy said ada all the way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In New York - might even be federal - If they serve food that can be eaten on site the buyers have to have access to an area to wash their hands. A friend of mine was an inspector for Agriculture and Markets and making sure the public had access to a bathroom at any such food market was part of the inspection. I don't remember if A&M was state or fed.
Bill T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts