Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've got years as a GC and Owner / Builder, but have never has a Metal Roof installed and I'm now considering this option, but....

I'm building a coastal home between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC. I've read a million articles on the subject of Metal Roofing and ALL of these article imply that it's possible to have a quality metal roof installed for a cost in the neighborhood of $300-350 a square... WELL, I've received 8 quotes from contractors in the region where I'm building and NONE we're less than $500 per square.

After much research I've decided that if I use metal it will be Aluminum. Also, of the quotes I've received, there has been little difference in price between the Aluminum and Metal roofing products.

What gives? Are the articles delibrately misleading to get folks interested in this type of roofing product?

BTW, my job is very simple. It's a two story home witha simple hip roof (no jogs) and is a 5/12 pitch. Total roof is approx. 21 squares.

Thanks for any feedback, suggestions.

bradesp

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I do not think they take into account high insurance costs and SKILLED labor.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Due to 4 hurricanes in our state last year, materials are in high demand and in short supply. Your quote does sound high, my highest quote was about $600 per sq. My install is running about $350 but I'm having quite a few problems and having to do some of the work myself.

·
Housewright & Woodwright
106 Posts
On 2 log homes that I built, had standing seam metal roofs put on. The first one came in @ $375sq. and the second was $365sq.

It may be due to the house being coastal that your bids are higher?

The cheapest I have ever heard a SSMR being done is $325sq.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
If your skilled cratsmen are properly insured for roofing with work comp, they will have higher costs than the average roofing sub that 1099's his workers (illegally I might add). Our standing seam system ranges 6-9 bucks a foot.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
You'll never get a SS roof for that much. Best we do is $600 for SS galvanized on new construction, 2 stories, aluminum would be more. Of course this is FL, insurance is so much, WC is much more. Aluminum is second only to zinc for expansion and contraction values, your installer better be the best in town (not best price). Good luck Met.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I came close to putting a true S.S. roof on. A friend of mine came across some 14 ga. 304 stainless sheets 4' X 10' for $1.00 a lb. Talk about a roof!
Ol' #2 didn't think that it would look too good, I agreed. I'm sure that there would have been code problems as well, but what a roof that stuff would have made!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts