Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently applied for the Ironworkers Local 577 out of West Burlington, IA. I have heard good things about being an Ironworker, but would like to hear other peoples thoughts on the trade. I've considered applying for the Carpenter's Union as well. But my father is a Union carpenter and hasn't had a union job in about a year. Any input would be great. Thank you all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
24,715 Posts
Like most union stuff it's ALL in WHO you know....

Iron Workers & Elevator unions are very tough to break in to....

Usually takes a highly respected and long standing member to get you in.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Like most union stuff it's ALL in WHO you know....

Iron Workers & Elevator unions are very tough to break in to....

Usually takes a highly respected and long standing member to get you in.
The members don't have much power here, you just have to put your name on the list and wait. I know a guy who's uncle owns an elevator company and he couldn't hire his own nephew.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If you don't mind being 100 feet up without a harness walking on a 12" I beam I say go for it.
And heating up rivits on a charcoal forge?

Things are a little different since they built the empire state building. Iron workers spend most of their time twisting rebar together.

They were one of the first unions and they unionized to enforce safety regulations.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Inner10 said:
And heating up rivits on a charcoal forge? Things are a little different since they built the empire state building. Iron workers spend most of their time twisting rebar together. They were one of the first unions and they unionized to enforce safety regulations.
The guys setting beams don't have to be tied off for 10 stories. Then they put a net. They can only put 1 bolt in each side of the beam. The guys that fallow and finish bolting are tied off. I'll find the OSHA regulation for you. You guys might have different regulations

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The guys setting beams don't have to be tied off for 10 stories. Then they put a net. They can only put 1 bolt in each side of the beam. The guys that fallow and finish bolting are tied off. I'll find the OSHA regulation for you. You guys might have different regulations
Let's see the link on 10 stories for tie off.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Let's see the link on 10 stories for tie off.
He's right, I thought the limit was 3 stories though. But there is something in the fall arrest guidelines that says that connecting can be more hazardous with a harness, but in the case it's not used the employer is responsible for alternative forms of fall protection (nets).

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Inner10 said:
He's right, I thought the limit was 3 stories though. But there is something in the fall arrest guidelines that says that connecting can be more hazardous with a harness, but in the case it's not used the employer is responsible for alternative forms of fall protection (nets).
You're right, it looks like it they changed the iron erection guidelines in 2012.

But they have to have a net after 30'.

I've been out of commercial for a while. I do have my OSHA 30 that I should take a refresher course.

https://www.impact-net.org/uploads/...worker On the Safe Side - Fall Protection.pdf

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It's 30' for tie off when you're swinging steel.

You don't have to tie off on a roof as any other trade if you can use alternative forms of fall protection.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It's 30' and only those employees that are qualified or classified as "connectors".

I had guys walking steel 110' in the air once, I wasn't aware of it until later in the day and immediately changed that. Some jobs are 100% tie off, no matter what, so there are methods of achieving it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts