Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What would be the best filter/system for iron and calcium residue for well water? The water leaves scum on glasses and red brownish residue on fixtures.

Also what brand are well known for such filters?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the GE Reverse osmosis filter for drinking water. $150-175 i think at HD. filters are like 40 every 6 months. works good and the water tastes fine.

Anyone know of a economical whole house solution? subjective i know, but im not looking for a 15k reverse osmosis rig.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
İ would try a whole house filter followed by a water softener which also removes iron. Water boss has one which removes iron. İ have had 9 water bosses and 1 GE and İ ended up throwing away the GE after a couple of years of struggling with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your situation sounds similar to what I face.

I have a whole house neutralizer and softener system for my high iron well water. It works fairly well. The neutralizer and the softener each needs to be re-cycled 3 times a month or else I start getting very salty high iron water throughout my house.

Reverse Osmosis systems can be fine for drinking water but I believe they are very expensive for a whole-house set up.

I don't think a simple filter will solve your problem. From what you've described, you would be replacing a filter very frequently. You need a whole-house system so your sinks, bathtubs, and toilets all stay their original color, not to mention you want your drinking and cooking water to taste good and your dishes to be clean. I think rusty water makes a fine cologne. My wife doesn't.

You could always add an RO system for your drinking water for some of the cleanest water you can get, but the softener would solve most of your problems.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I have really high iron in my well too. The best thing is to take a sample to your county health dept. and they will tell you just how high the iron is. I use an RO hookup for my drinking water, ice, and instant hot. I have a whole house filter before the softener because the small sediment particles will eventually block the orifices in the softener. If you have high iron I would get a good quality softener from a supply house not an HD, or Sears softener. I have a "MacClean" that I bought in '96. It cost about $1200 back then but at 13years old it is still working trouble free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply and from the research I've been doing your solution sounds right. The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is what type of filteration system to put in before the softener, Chlorination-filtration, Green sand filtration or Aeration-filtration etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply and from the research I've been doing your solution sounds right. The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is what type of filteration system to put in before the softener, Chlorination-filtration, Green sand filtration or Aeration-filtration etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts