Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old iPhone for personal use, but I need a second phone just for business use. Trying to decide wether to get a second iphone, the 3Gs, or a Blackberry. I walked into an At&t store and the gal told me a lot of people use an iPhone for personal use, and a Blackberry as a second phone for business. Blackberry's are supposedly better for work or business. I asked her what the advantage is with them, she said you can view documents with the Blackberry's, but you can do that with iPhone too if you download the right app. So I'm still trying to decide which is better.

One thing I noticed with the Blackberry 8350i, is that it has a push to talk option, meaning it works just like a radio, which can be handy in construction. But it looks like a broken down model.

It seemed the nicest one they had was the 8900, but I don't think it has the push to talk feature.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I dont know what I ever did without my BB. They are kick ass and hold up well. The internet on mine is slow but I think newer ones have 3g.

·
Registered
182 Posts
if you're looking for PTT on AT&T, i don't think it's going to get much use work-wise, as pretty much every contractor using PTT, uses the iDEN radio network on Sprint/Nextel.

I do own two Nextel cells for work, and have an iPhone with AT&T for my personal use too. One of Nextels is the 8350i, and I can attest it is a pretty crappy low-end Blackberry. It's a major technology leap in comparison to their previous BB offerings, but it's still very painfully slow, even with Wi-Fi. If you just need email on it though, it's fine.

Since you've already got an iPhone, I would say just go get a nice BB model then, as you would then have the best of both worlds in features.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Since you've already got an iPhone, I would say just go get a nice BB model then, as you would then have the best of both worlds in features.
I might do that, but I'm still trying to figure out what the Blackberry can do that the iPhone can't :confused1:

And yes csv, the 8900 model has 3G.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I might do that, but I'm still trying to figure out what the Blackberry can do that the iPhone can't :confused1:

And yes csv, the 8900 model has 3G.
Google Voice (native apps utilizing all it's features that is), better security (most features you probably don't need though), true Push email (again you may not really need that), generally better battery life, standard USB interface for charging.

in general though, the iPhone is superior in terms of capabilities, but the blackberry is a great email platform with excellent security.

unless you're going to get a discount by having multiple phones, sharing a family plan on airtime or whatnot, I would also suggest then just going with a different provider, so you've got two networks to choose from if you're in an area where one is spotty or non-existent.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have a BB curve 8900, since I don't use it for emailing, texting or trying to view spreadsheets (that would be interesting!), I find it pretty much blows. The only features I use on it is use it as a phone and use google maps and sometimes cruise craigslist for used tools if I'm bored.

I think unless you are a big emailer the BB is not a big deal.

I will be buying the Google my touch pretty soon.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
If you think about going with BB, I would avoid the Bold. I had major problems with it along with everyone else in the world. Very nice phone if it worked.

After I returned the BB Bold, the sale wasn't going any longer, the web of phone transfers just to talk to the right place to return it frustrated me enough to go for the iPhone and I am ever so happy I did. A few minor things you can't do with it, but overall, a great phone you will not be disappointed in the decision.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The feature I like a lot is the ap you can download to zap calls. If you get an a-hole telemarketer call you, the ap lets you throw his phone number into a screening list and next time he calls you - he gets nada!

Now that's a nice feature to these smart phones.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The feature I like a lot is the ap you can download to zap calls. If you get an a-hole telemarketer call you, the ap lets you throw his phone number into a screening list and next time he calls you - he gets nada!

Now that's a nice feature to these smart phones.
i've got that feature with google voice, but what iphone app is that? i'll definitely make use of that hehe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a Curve that I thought was great and still do. Once the video came to the Iphone, I made the move. I expected a little bit better but was blown away. The only downside is that the battery is not great. Aside from that, BB cannot compare. I don't need my emails instantly but within a few minutes is ok so that is not a big deal. I have found (amazingly) that the ATT service is a bit better in CT. I never expected that and had resigned myself to just the opposite. Being an electrician, I use the internet as a tool for cut sheets. The speed of the internet with the 3GS is amazing. The apps, well they speak for themselves. Sonos, Lutron Homeworks, Tesla meter, cheat sheets for data terminations, Electricians tool kit, level...... the list goes on. Lastly, is the intuitiveness. I thought there would be a big learning curve and there hasn't been. No regrets and I actually recommend these now to anyone. It is a major part of my tool collection

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Onece you go black you never go back :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the nokia e-71 very handy my wife has a BB. i prefer the nokia she prefers the BB just whatever floats your boat i guess

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I have a BB Bold. I was all set to get an iPhone (as in had it in my hand) and the AT&T rep asked me if I ever had a BB. I said "no", and when he showed me the BB's features, I realized the iPhone was more of a gadget than a serious business device.

I have enough aggravation in my life. I want my phone to COMMUNICATE, and well at that. The BB Bold has not let me down.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
had a slew of wm and palm smartphones , and pretty much like finley said, other than for a quick surf while bored or on the go, they all pretty much suck for their intended purpose. went back to just a 3g razor linked via bluetooth to my palm tx and love it that way. the connectivity and web are so much better, gf has iphone and i hate it, forget it one handed.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you desire REAL internet, apps out the arse, and a phone that does what it does better than ANYTHING on the Planet WHEN it decides to do what it does, get an iPhone.

If you desire a REAL Business Tool, Blackberry!
Exactly.
Also, the Blackberry is tough as nails.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts