Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently in a 2.6 million dollar home and the floors were incredible. They were Ipe, Brazillian Mahogany, nice and dark, but what made them so incredible was they were all dented up, I mean big divits all over them, looked like they were blasted by steel balls the size of pool balls. Just incredible. Ipe is so freaken hard I just can't understand how they got them this way - howitzer?

Anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I was recently in a 2.6 million dollar home and the floors were incredible. They were Ipe, Brazillian Mahogany, nice and dark, but what made them so incredible was they were all dented up, I mean big divits all over them, looked like they were blasted by steel balls the size of pool balls. Just incredible. Ipe is so freaken hard I just can't understand how they got them this way - howitzer?

Anybody seen this before?

I think what you are talking about is called hand scraped. It seems to be all the rage

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that what it is? It was something else to see. I sure would like to know.

Humble, I don't think it was rescued wood, being Ipe and all, but I really can't rule out anything at this point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ipe

did you happen to take a picture?i would like to see the dents. you can hit ipe with a framing hammer as hard as you can -barely a dent.justin

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I didn't take a picture and like you said the stuff is so hard you can hit it with a hammer and hardly dent it is exactly what has me so confused on how they got it to look like it does.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Maybe it was done at the mill with a machine. I have only seen Ipe on decks, but I have been wanting to do a floor with it, just waiting on that customer. :eek:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've done some floors with it. It is actually pretty easy to work with the exception of the dust. Got to wear a good dust mask and change it often cause of the dust and the oils from it. And if your eyes are at all sensitive should wear something to seal them from the dust like a full face respirator like in my picture. Carbide blades and bits work pretty good with it.

Not sure how they get the look you're talking about. Could be all hand scraped. On homes like that, money is not an object.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts