Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Design Build
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting today, on my iOS device, whenever I open a CT thread, I receive pop-up new window telling me to update McAfee antivirus (Which I don’t have installed on any of my computer equipment or tech devices) Or update Adobe Flash (Also another piece of software that I don’t have on any of my iOS devices)

Both times, a new page is opened and has links to click on to perform whatever correction they are suggesting needs to happen.

A single back button just recycles that page. If you double click the back arrow then you were taken back to the original CT page that you wanted to be on.

I haven’t seen this on a Windows 10 machine running fire fox latest version.

Hardware affected is iPhone 11 Pro Max using the Apple Safari browser in iOS 13.4 (17E255)

Attachments

·
Design Build
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I added Malwarebytes to my phone and I have done several tests in Safari to many different websites.

It’s only happening when I come to contractor talk that I get these phishing pop-ups. And it’s only on my phone and not iPad or computer.

When a page loads in Safari on my iPhone from contractor talk, some of the advertising at the top and on the sides takes almost a full second or longer to load and it feels like once it loads then there is a new URL in a new window to one of these spam pop-ups. The timing feels like it’s being triggered by the opening of the regular advertising on the site.

Here’s on of the urls

h t t p s : / / updatemostprogressiveapplication.best/uozxbTY5jLrRe8Eekh4Lk7bZh_M7WQIsRcEqSnXXKt4?cid=w6pgc3r373fh3l2uh86k1sco&sid=5555fd5e346983906006733f19dcaf59

·
Design Build
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's Malwarebytes. Whitelist the site in MWBs
Huh?

This happened before I added malwarebytes.
I loaded Malwarebytes after reading some articles from 2017 and 2019. No joy.

I’ll keep testing. So strange that it’s only CT.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,260 Posts
I have problems when using my Photon Browser from my phone. Says the certificate is invalid when I don't have that issue with other browsers.

Does it happen when you use Chrome or Firefox?

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
Leo,

This is the type crap I was referring to in the other thread. Only happens here, starts in P&R.

Wall,

Settings—Safari-Advanced-Clear web history-restart phone—takes 3-5 restarts to clear it.

Tom

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,260 Posts
My Photon Browser issue is site wide. As soon as I log onto the site it gives a certificate warning and I have to choose to bypass it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,260 Posts
But I also know it's my browser and not the site. I had it looked at and there was no certificate that was out of date like my browser warned. Switching to FF solved that particular issue.

·
Administrator
917 Posts
We've been getting reports of these across our network over the last while. Is anyone getting them with a non-mobile device?

Kevin

·
Design Build
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just started again on my iPhone.

- iPhone 11 Pro Max with current s/w for today’s date
- using safari app on phone
- only happens on the contractor talk site
- a pop up to update flash (looks fake to me)
- this does NOT affect iPad OS for me.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I mnow have it on my imac as well started about a week ago, had the same thing last year

"update flash player" or "Norton 360 is out of date"

·
Design Build
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More bull**** happening on CT

When I tapped the link to post fav political video this page opened.

What is fototime dot com ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,260 Posts
Fototime is a picture storage and sharing website. It's the one I use to store and post photos here.

·
Design Build
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess it’s trying to access that site when I go to the page where people post their favorite political cartoons. Safari is assuming that it’s a pop under or some other nefarious thing and giving me a warning. I think I’m wound too tight

1 - 18 of 18 Posts