Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I know this is a bit of a newb question but I wanted to get some input.

I've submitted an itemized estimate to my client and its been signed and accepted. I'm getting part of the payment at the start of the job and the rest at the completion.

My question... What do you give the client to collect these payments? Do you give them an "Invoice" or a "Bill"? Is it itemized like the estimate or does it just reference the estimate?

Finally, if anyone has an example they can post I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
You could ask your accountant,
but me personally make a invoice written ACCOUNT on it
then the last invoice has the total of work and all the payments received.

but maybe your state/country laws are different

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,781 Posts
Because I sell completed job. My contract is designed in such a way that once they have signed and given the down it is noted on the contract, then at end of job, same thing and I sign off on the contract that it is paid in full with a check # or what ever other payment is made. My work is pretty much straight forward as far cost , if there are change orders it either get add to the contract or a new one is written just for the change and collected on when that parts is done.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I call it an invoice

I have the amounts broken down on my contract...so my invoices just have the task completed and the price

Rough Plumbing/fixtures/permit-----$1,000,000

something like that

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
bill 1 (bl)
n.
1. An itemized list or statement of fees or charges.

in·voice (nvois)

n.
1. A detailed list of goods shipped or services rendered, with an account of all costs; an itemized bill.
2. The goods or services itemized in an invoice.
tr.v. in·voiced, in·voic·ing, in·voic·es
1. To make an invoice of (goods or services).
2. To send an invoice to; bill.
They're the same thing

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I give my customers a proposal in contract form.

By signing and returning it with a "retainer" (not deposit), it becomes the contract.

Upon completion, I write an invoice that states "Contract completion of (whatever the project is), shows the total amount, the retainer paid, any additional charges, and balance due.

My terms in the proposal state that the balance is due on the day work is completed. My invoice also states "due on receipt".

·
Registered
129 Posts
I call it an invoice

I have the amounts broken down on my contract...so my invoices just have the task completed and the price

Rough Plumbing/fixtures/permit-----$1,000,000

something like that
Damn. Plumbers are expensive everywhere it seems.:jester:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do mainly small jons from $500-$15,000 but i usually start writing an estimate and if they accept my bid i use the same estimate to make notations about deposits,payment schedules and final payment and at each stage it is signed by me and them.I don't bother making any clauses or anything.I know it's probably foolish but all my work is referrals and i trust my customers.I feel as if i can handle and resolve any problems i may have with the customers.I dont advertise and don't even have a business cards so if they are my customers then they are trusted.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Invoice, Bill, Contract, Statement

Contracts, invoices, bills, and statements are all defined differently and each has his own purpose.

When you perform service for a customer you give them either a contract or a bill when the job is finished and you don't give them a statement.

When a job is completed you give the customer the contract, or bill and when the customer pays you later the customer he (or she) will often ask for a statement. At this time, we will send only a copy of the first page of the contract when we are dealing with a 1-time customer and a small job. When we are dealing with a large contract we will send the customer a statement only when the balance due exceeds a few weeks.

Most companies call their bill invoices when they break the jobs down for time and materials. When you deal with a supply house everything you purchase is listed on the invoice and you get a statement at the end of the month that lists every invoice.

Most companies only send statements when a customer has an open account with several jobs and/or contracts and the statement is necessary to itemize each job and to give the customer a running total.

Most bills we get such as gasoline bills, credit cards, and cable television are statements.

So, the answer is 'NO' you give your customer a bill or copy of the contract and not a statement unless you intend to carry the balance and get paid a few weeks, or months later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts