Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be finding myself in this small predicament on the site I am currently working on. I have all my tools in my van at all times with the exception of a few. Now I've been told by the builder I am working with, subcontractor, all major tools are provided on site and I can use them at all times. One site I am constantly told by the few crew members, use tools from the trailer, if they see me having to get something from the van. I only ever use their SDS hammer drill, mini shop vac and demolition hammer.

The demolition hammer I don't own one, as I wouldn't use it enough to have so much money tied up into it. The mini shop vac I use here and their for some small stuff. The SDS I only use when my helper and I have to drill many holes at the same time.

Long story short, builders dad is constantly giving me remarks about the tools. Keep in mind he is one who tells me to use them instead of running to the van. I know I shouldn't bother using theirs and only my own but I never know exactly what I am going to need the next morning. Seems I am not welcomed to use them because their is always a complaint.

Do you guys ever try to justify the cost of buying new tools? I seem to be having a hard time justifying the cost of the tools with the amount of times I am going to use them.

My list is simple: SDS Hammer drill, DeWalt portable wet/vac and demo hammer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope, I am a sub-contractor.

I currently working for a builder in conjunction with his crew. My helper and I do everything that his crew is supposed to be doing to the building while they are outside playing around with the crane.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If you are hard up for cash just keep your eyes peeled on the used market...if the guy doesn't mind lending tools I'd keep borrowing them.

But a shop vac or sds I couldn't imagine not owning.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are hard up for cash just keep your eyes peeled on the used market...if the guy doesn't mind lending tools I'd keep borrowing them.

But a shop vac or sds I couldn't imagine not owning.
I'm a little pressed for cash. If I need something I will invest with a smile on my face. I got a brand new regular hammer drill, thats only months old. Shop vac I have two of them, I got a 60 liter and a 22 liter.

SDS seems to work great on the concrete in this low rise I'm on, goes through like butter. The mini shop I borrow, is a 11L and works wells for times where I need quick clean up for small debris.

When I met up with the builder and we were talking about tools, he told me. "We have all major power tools, and we will provide you with them if you need"

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
renov8r said:
I seem to be finding myself in this small predicament on the site I am currently working on. I have all my tools in my van at all times with the exception of a few. Now I've been told by the builder I am working with, subcontractor, all major tools are provided on site and I can use them at all times. One site I am constantly told by the few crew members, use tools from the trailer, if they see me having to get something from the van. I only ever use their SDS hammer drill, mini shop vac and demolition hammer.

The demolition hammer I don't own one, as I wouldn't use it enough to have so much money tied up into it. The mini shop vac I use here and their for some small stuff. The SDS I only use when my helper and I have to drill many holes at the same time.

Long story short, builders dad is constantly giving me remarks about the tools. Keep in mind he is one who tells me to use them instead of running to the van. I know I shouldn't bother using theirs and only my own but I never know exactly what I am going to need the next morning. Seems I am not welcomed to use them because their is always a complaint.

Do you guys ever try to justify the cost of buying new tools? I seem to be having a hard time justifying the cost of the tools with the amount of times I am going to use them.

My list is simple: SDS Hammer drill, DeWalt portable wet/vac and demo hammer.
I prefer to use my own tools weather I am a sub or employee. Most builders own outright junk. Mine are set up to how I work. Less stress and better work is produced .

Example of junk I see. A 7/8th horsepower craftsman router that is from the 80s?. And the collet won't hold the bit that I needed to trim Formica on the counter top we built. The bit falls out. I mean it stays in until u turn on the unit. Wtf? I can't deal with stuff like this .

I bring my own tools and keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Sounds nuts. In a friendly way, I'd politely get to the bottom of it. And if you're hard-up for cash, just show some extra appreciation, etc... Maybe the guy thinks you have too much money.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I prefer to use my own tools weather I am a sub or employee. Most builders own outright junk. Mine are set up to how I work. Less stress and better work is produced .

Example of junk I see. A 7/8th horsepower craftsman router that is from the 80s?. And the collet won't hold the bit that I needed to trim Formica on the counter top we built. The bit falls out. I mean it stays in until u turn on the unit. Wtf? I can't deal with stuff like this .

I bring my own tools and keep a close eye on them.
To be honest this builder has some decent tools in the trailer. Not a huge amount but good brands. BOSCH and DeWalt everything. I've found some inferior stuff like that in the trailer as well. 7" bosch grinder. Wont start properly and the disc falls out when it stops.

I prefer to use my own tools, and use them as much as possible, with the exception of the few tools I've used listed above. Trust me I go crazy, I have bad anxiety, you have no idea how closely I watch them.

The good thing about my tools is they are well taken care of even though some may have tons of abuse to them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds nuts. In a friendly way, I'd politely get to the bottom of it. And if you're hard-up for cash, just show some extra appreciation, etc... Maybe the guy thinks you have too much money.
I always show appreciation every time I use something from the trailer. My first gut instinct is what I normally do, go to the van and get what I need. So its just habit.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I always show appreciation every time I use something from the trailer. My first gut instinct is what I normally do, go to the van and get what I need. So its just habit.
Ok, fair enough. Let me see if I got this....they don't want you to use your tools so that you will use their tools so they can lay some guilt on you for using them. Is that what you're saying? :blink:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
MarkJames said:
Ok, fair enough. Let me see if I got this....they don't want you to use your tools so that you will use their tools so they can lay some guilt on you for using them. Is that what you're saying? :blink:
That's what I took from it.

If it's a big ticket item (to you) and you won't use it much if you purchase it, and they're letting you use their stuff, just continue what you're doing.

If it ends up being something you need in the future, and HAVE to get it, by all means, spring for it then.

I think it's better to have a little jingle in your pocket than to get something for the sake of getting it and end up having it sit unused.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty much sums its all up; however, its not really a guilt trip that they give me. If it were a guilt trip I would feel bad. Its like if I use the vacuum today, and 2 days down the road I'll get when was the last time I used the vacuum and how the filter isn't clean. Or they will see me using the SDS one day, adn then weeks later they will come to me saying how the 3/16" bit is missing while the whole time I was using the 1/2". Best would be how the demolition hammer is dirty after demolishing half a concrete parapet wall with it. It's all non-sense like that. They only seem to do it with their own stuff, when I'm using my stuff they choose their words wisely.

I'm just having a hard time justifying the expense of some of the tools. Like the demolition hammer, to have 1k tied up in it and use it once in a while makes me wonder if its worth it? or even the SDS hammer drill. I usually work in wood frame, that why I have a normal hammer drill because all I'm doing with it is using it drill holes for tapcons and augers on studs and joists.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's what I took from it.

If it's a big ticket item (to you) and you won't use it much if you purchase it, and they're letting you use their stuff, just continue what you're doing.

If it ends up being something you need in the future, and HAVE to get it, by all means, spring for it then.

I think it's better to have a little jingle in your pocket than to get something for the sake of getting it and end up having it sit unused.
The sitting being unused is the problem and thats whats making me unsure of what to do.

Big ticket item like demo hammer, I usually rent it for 4hrs from Depot for like 50 bucks. I probably rent it maybe 3 times a year maximum on a good year, sometimes 0-1 time. I usually do everything I need with it in that time frame. Stuff I need in the future I end up buying sooner or later.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
About the only way I won't buy a tool for the job I'm on is if it's expensive and I can confidently predict I'll never need it again for about 14 blue moons. As an independent contractor, I can't and won't count on being able to borrow stuff from others on the jobsite.

Nor am I interested in buying a replacement for someone's old POS because it happened to break while I was using it.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,331 Posts
Trust me I go crazy, I have bad anxiety, you have no idea how closely I watch them.
After reading many of your threads I am pretty confident this is your problem, you look into everything every person says to you and then get anxious about it.

Sometimes what's up just means what's up 90% of what people say is horse sh!t so pick out the 10% that's meaningful and move on.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Get to know used tools, what was the best tools out 5 years, 10 years ago? . . . then keep an eye out for bargains at the local pawn shops and craigslist if you are general remodeling you will need a basic kit of every trade and that can get VERY $$$$, Smart buying used gems will stretch your money.

Reactions: asevereid

·
Registered
541 Posts
When I met up with the builder and we were talking about tools, he told me. "We have all major power tools, and we will provide you with them if you need"
I don't feel like an SDS drill and a shopvac are major power tools. A real demo hammer is, but my mom owns a shopvac and everybody in any trade should have a Bosch bulldog or equivalent, even if it's only used for tapcons and busting up tile.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Get to know used tools, what was the best tools out 5 years, 10 years ago? . . . then keep an eye out for bargains at the local pawn shops and craigslist if you are general remodeling you will need a basic kit of every trade and that can get VERY $$$$, Smart buying used gems will stretch your money.
A used Bosch 11224 is worth about $50-60. I got one with about ten bits for $40 at a flea market once; that was a good score. Now that Lowes sells a lot of the updated 11255 model to homeowners who use them once, there are a ton of those around for about $100 used. Things might cost a little more in Canada, but it's less than a day's wages for something that's useful in a lot of different situations.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts