Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning I damn near got creamed. Left the diner after a morning Gava ... Down the steps and your on their parking lot. Today without any warning I damn near was hit. Why? I Did not hear the car coming. Why? There was no noise. Why? The car had no engine at least it was not on at the time. The car was moving on electric power. Now I suggest that all cars of this type have beer cans tied to the rear bumper, so that the general public can hear them coming. Not to mention this, but I think the driver was texting also. Thank God it was a parking lot, if he had been going a bit faster. I might not be able to write this.

It should be fun to read the wit as to how we can make these cars heard. :furious: :jester:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
That's a pretty good point. It's eerie not being able to hear them, especially when you're in the city. I don't pay much attention to cars coming, but I usually hear them and can react if I hear them racing towards me while walking.

I remember a buddy of mine who worked for me is a full time firefighter and he was telling me that they have special training for these types of cars because some of them contain high voltage lines where they would be cutting or putting the jaws of life. I think that the engines are marked now, some type of high visibility colors or something.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
This will be an issue. I have a friend with a young daughter who is blind. This exact situation is being talked about at her school for the vision impaired.
They were trying to teach the kids while playing at the park to stay away from the car noise when an EV drove by and all the instructors stood in disbelief...now what do we do????

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
They should at least require them to blare some loud music. Unfortunately, a hybrid driver is probably not likely to be one with a kick as stereo--rolling down the road with the windows vibrating, 'ridin' dirty'... :laughing:

Glad you looked both ways.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
There are a few new electric car makers who are adding "engine" sounds to the car. You get to pick, like a ring tone for the phone.
That could be kinda cool. How about the sound of a nice deep radial engine...

Or Jake-Braking... That would turn some heads for sure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It sounds like the reason they invented the term "defensive driving" and personal attention to the surroundings many years ago. - All you do is pay attention and not rely on other people to have loud cars to warn you where they are.

Maybe they should remove the mufflers from all quiet cars in Allentown. It must have been the diner north of the main drag (east side of the street) on the north end of town. - They serve beer and liquor for good customers after a breakfast.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I think they should come standard with a speaker that plays music like the ice cream man.

·
4,617 Posts
Don't wait! Get rich now! Be the first to add an Echo Tip to your mom's Prius!

Hmm.... might work. I know.. we can tie the gewbs from the P&R section on the hood of each car and let them read their own posts. Can't fail to hear that coming.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Don't wait! Get rich now! Be the first to add an Echo Tip to your mom's Prius!

Hmm.... might work. I know.. we can tie the gewbs from the P&R section on the hood of each car and let them read their own posts. Can't fail to hear that coming.

Good idea, - - have a recording of Obama's lies and the car will die before the tape :laughing:

·
4,617 Posts
I think that was one of them new Gov't Hybrid Chevys that just went by.:w00t::thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Are you really saying that you can't hear that but can hear a Town Car or Rolls?
A) As a driver you are responsible for your actions, sound or no sound.
B) If you don't take the time to observe your situation when moving your vehicle, you will be to blame. This includes a kid on a bicycle.

What you're REALLY saying is that YOU weren't paying attention. You are attempting to blame it on a car that happened to be quiet.

My last hunting vehicle was a Suburban 4X4, 6" chassis lift with two Caddy mufflers on each side. You wouldn't have heard that either.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
"They" say that most of the noise a car makes while traveling is caused by air displacement from the tires. Hopefully this is true, and a car traveling faster will have the same kind of noise. Watch out for those slow ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts