Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Example:
Company Name
Residential/Commercial
Years Experience
Bio
Etc…

By the way, Registration is free and we would love it if you would go ahead and register. It’s hard to tell whose saying what when your not signed in. To register click here: http://www.contractorschatroom.com/register.php?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Hello,

My name is Patrick and I work at Florcraft Carpet One in Anchorage Alaska. I am a salesperson who has been in the flooring industry over 7 years. I mostly deal with residential remodel, but I am trying to expand to get some new home construction and commercial accounts. My goal is to provide the best customer service a flooring consultant can, so my clients can enjoy my products to its full potential.
I am married with 3 children, and I love to ski, snowboard, cross country ski, play basketball, and enjoy all Alaska has to offer, including reeling in 40 lb King salmon right out of the river here in downtown Anchorage.
I am 30 years old.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My name is Chris and I live in Atlanta, GA. (Marietta)
I'm attending the local community college trying to learn more about becoming an electrician.

I don't have much experience but I'm learning more everyday. Any advice for me would be great.

That's about it, thanks.

-Haywire

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've no advice for an electrician except listen to the old timers. They are obviously still alive so they must be doing something right.

I'm Thomas. I have 6 years experience in the roofing siding industry. We mostly deal with residential remodels but work on plenty of new construction. I'm trying hard to shy away from these small one house sales and persuing more large scale projects. Currently we are working on a 41 building town home re-roof for nearly a mil.

I call myself Grumpy for reasons that will become obvious when you experience me on one of my bad days, which is pretty frequent. I'm like a crap magnet. Everyone wants to give me crap. INfact when my girl friend calls me during the day she always asks "Is it safe to talk?"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,

My name is Mark West
Company: MarkArt, Inc.
I’m a small time painter one-man shop located in central Florida.
At 48 years old, it looks like I may be the old fart on board.
I have about 21 years in the construction industry. I started as an electrician’s helper in high school, worked as an electrician until I was about 24 years old, mainly doing residential new construction. Then I started carpentry on houses and evolved into form carpentry chiefly as a stair builder (concrete) on high rises. At age 28 I decided to go to art school, get a degree and a job as an Art Director in the graphic arts field. After about 9 years of that, jumping around trying to find the right spot, I found I had become a “Grumpy” myself, I left the corporate world and settled into my own business of doing residential repaints. This I love it better than anything else.

Haywire, this is my best piece of advice, given to me when I was doing electrical work by a wise old black gentleman doing concrete work (I have never forgotten it)…

“Too much electricity is not good for a man.”

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Name is Rich. Currently living in Colorado - originally from Montana where I owned and operated a construction company for about 6 years or so. Currently employed with a 2billion dollar annual volume GC in Colorado.
Been in the construction industry for about 20 years - started when I was 13.
Look forward to sharing what I know.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Hey there. I'm Peter, or Speedy Petey as I'm called. I'm 38.
I'm an electrician in upstate NY just south of Albany. I've been in the trade for over 15 years and been licensed for about the last 8.
I also am very skilled in carpentry and do some plumbing. Mostly for myself, family & friends.
I do any type of work from heavy industrial to cutting in a new receptacle for your fish tank. We've done restaurants, drug stores, wharehouses and machine shops. I also like to do lighting design and home theater & networking.

On the personal side; I'm married with 2 children. I love to fish and I have a '70 Nova drag race car I like to have fun with, legally!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi... my name is Mark and I (with my partner) have a Benjamin Moore Banner store here in Eastern Canada (same climate as NH for those who think we live in igloos). I am a journeyman painter/decorator by trade and have contracted prior to the store opening last May. I am 39 and 22 years of the trades has left me aching and very receptive to the idea of retail. We live at the end of your Interstate 95 across the Maine border in a agricultural hub town where the economy seems always good which is a bonus......we prefer potatos to .com's anyday as its a lot more stable. I think this site is great and have been coaxing anyone I run into from the biz to drop by.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Some people think I live in a little igloo too, when they are totally wrong.
I live in a BIG one!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Hah!
That little thing?
What, do you think I am poor?
I'm alaskan, remember, I get a PFD every year, we can afford a tad bit bigger than that!

BTW I saved that pic, Thats a classic!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hmmm second reply to that igloo. If I ever have a few hundred thousand and nothing to do with it I am going to build an igloo like that. I've some empty land in wisconsin. Heheh instead of ice I can use that Sprayed on Puly foam they use for roofing on the entire exterior. The thoughts are running through my head!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
Hmmm second reply to that igloo. If I ever have a few hundred thousand and nothing to do with it I am going to build an igloo like that. I've some empty land in wisconsin. Heheh instead of ice I can use that Sprayed on Puly foam they use for roofing on the entire exterior. The thoughts are running through my head!
If you like sphere-like, we got this leftover geodestic dome left over from Expo 67. It's only about 300 feet high. Started out as the USA pavillion, then was converted into an environmental exhibit, then the acrylic cover burned down (I think a welder was careless while doing some repairs to the frame). It's even bigger than Florcraft's igloo. Bit drafty tho.

As for the igloo image, I got it off Google. It's apparently a well-known gas bar between Anchorage and Fairbanks. There were several versions of the same building, and one has it under LOTS of snow. Florcraft, what kind of carpet do you recommend on an solid ice base?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
My co-worker informed me, when I showed her that cool pic, that the igloo IS the one on the way to fairbanks. I am going to make a trip up here in the winter and check it out.
Carpet on a solid ice base? hmmm
probably a thick wool...
like about 50 sheep skins aughta do it....
Maybe even Llama....

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've had several people join the site over the last few weeks.
When you get a chance please introduce yourself in this thread.
We would love to know more about you!

-Nathan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Starting My own Painting Business

nwingate said:
Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Example:
Company Name
Residential/Commercial
Years Experience
Bio
Etc…

By the way, Registration is free and we would love it if you would go ahead and register. It’s hard to tell whose saying what when your not signed in. To register click here: http://www.contractorschatroom.com/register.php?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
3 Posts
well I flubbed that up and being the computer whiz that I am (NOT) I will try it again;
my name is Mike I live in NC near Winston Salem
been painting for 17 yrs just lost my job worked for a furniture co and they shut the plant down (in Sept)sending the work over seas I worked in the carptener shop and did a lot of work with interior decorators building show rooms for furniture market and paining the offices decided to try it on my own I want to do Interior and Exterior work.
Was wondering if any one is near me that could maybe help me with my estimates having probems with that Any advice is welcome

1 - 20 of 88 Posts