Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fence Builder
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys. My name is Luke Beerman. Been reading on here quite a bit and decided to join because of the wealth of knowledge I am seeing on here. I have 7 years experience in finish carpentry, specifically trimming houses. Crown molding, wainscoting, you name it, hanging doors in rough openings, prehungs. I want to get into trimming new houses and remodels on my own.
I've got the tools, truck and ability but its all worthless if I can't land a job.
I'm open to any advice. I have a full time job (another field) working for a family member right now but I want to build up my own business where I can go full time in trim work of new constructed and remodeled houses.

What do you guys suggest for meeting builders? Intro emails? Intro calls? Meet them for coffee to talk about my services and experience?
What do you builders want to see from your trim carpenters? What would impress you enough to give a trim carpenter the opportunity to trim one of your houses?

·
Fence Builder
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, in starting a new business how multi-faceted do you suggest being? Stick to my one trade of trim work and push that hard or stay general to open myself to more business? I want to strictly trim houses, and do it the best that I can, but if thats going to limit me I will consider other trades as well.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Welcome to CT. Lots of good advice and places to share here. Where are you located?

It's better to do one thing well than several things badly. Just my $.02.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts