Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im working on finding my 2nd employee right now.....and i am wondering how you guys handle interviews

the position is just a laborer/helper and its part time, so im not getting people skilled in the trades....im mostly getting guys who have some previous mechanical jobs that were not in the trades...

im just asking them to tell me about their previous jobs and let them talk as much as possible.....i find just listening to them talk tells me enough about them w/o any specific questions....i know in 10 minutes of listening to them if im interested or not.....i can tell a lot just by how they sit in a chair......if they are laid back or sitting straight up giving me eye contact...i can tell their energy level pretty quickly

im finding tons of them have drunk driving records...(most)

what questions do you ask?

·
Super Moderator
28,798 Posts
Do you do drugs?

Are you high right now?

How many beer cans are in the back of your truck right now?

Im kidding, I stole that from Warren.

I dont advertise for hands, carpenters or newbies. I ask the guys, ask other contractors, ask the hands at the lumber yard, ect...

Most carpenters I ask simple questions. Can you form? How much experience do you have forming? Same with cutting a roof or trim, siding, whatever. I dont ask how to do it usually. I find out if they are worth a chit in a few days, sometimes hours. I also inquire to find out if they are uppity about what they do, will they dig footings, tie steel, ect...

Laborers I require a legal drivers licence and that they breath do give them a shot. Ill find out if they are worth training soon enough.

I also make sure they have a way to get to the shop and home, and that they will be legal employees with taxes taken out. That weeds out quite a few.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found someone without a drunk driving....the guy is 6'6 and 285 lbs....he will handle the physical part of the job just fine...he can probably carry a 50 gallon water heater on each shoulder ....he even showed up in a suit! for the interview

i will be calling him tonight to give him the good news.....ive spent 3 1/2 weeks trying to find someone....its harder than it should be to find someone decent

·
Registered
669 Posts
found someone without a drunk driving....the guy is 6'6 and 285 lbs....he will handle the physical part of the job just fine...he can probably carry a 50 gallon water heater on each shoulder ....he even showed up in a suit! for the interview

i will be calling him tonight to give him the good news.....ive spent 3 1/2 weeks trying to find someone....its harder than it should be to find someone decent
A guy that big is going to need a 50 gallon WATER JUG! Not to mention his lunch box!!

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Resta said:
And he will get tired very fast.
I'll take that over sum dumb-ass, all inked up, who looks he fell face first, into a tackle box, who can't pull himself away from his cell phone:

"Waaassuup Daaaawwwgg!"

*******, please*

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And he will get tired very fast.
i have concerns about this too

time will tell

he's going to school in the fall (night school), so working part time is perfect...the guy showed up 1 hour after i called him for the interview and wore a suit!

he's BIG, but not too scary looking...seems to have a friendly personality

my last employee was age 53 and around 135 lbs.....this guy is around 25 & over 2x his size......now im stuck being the small guy to go in the crawl spaces i guess

i have back issues and my last employee wasnt as much of a help as i wanted him to be....with this guy my back will finally get a good rest

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
huggytree said:

time will tell

he's going to school in the fall (night school), so working part time is perfect...the guy showed up 1 hour after i called him for the interview and wore a suit!

my last employee was age 53 and around 135 lbs.....this guy is around 25 & over 2x his size......now im stuck being the small guy to go in the crawl spaces i guess

i have back issues and my last employee wasnt as much of a help as i wanted him to be....with this guy my back will finally get a good rest
So hire a short small young guy, or girl.

·
Super Moderator
28,798 Posts

time will tell

We all have back issues, hoss....

·
1,745 Posts
I forget where I heard it. Maybe here.
Ask them, when they were younger, did they have a daily/weekend paper route?
And how long did they do it?

Something about a kid (person) who gets up EVERY morning and delivers papers.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Impressive that a guy that size has a suit, I'm fat enough that I have trouble finding suits off the rack that fit me...and if I do they need serious modification.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I forget where I heard it. Maybe here.
Ask them, when they were younger, did they have a daily/weekend paper route?
And how long did they do it?

Something about a kid (person) who gets up EVERY morning and delivers papers.
I have 2 different newspapers delivered here each day----- for at least the last 10 years they have been delivered by a series of grown men driving beater mobiles at 6:00AM.

It's been at least 10 years since I have seen a kid deliver papers-----and the guys currently doing it----- last 2-3 months and then it's someone else

so--- I think it's going to be exceptionally rare---- to find a entry level/early 20's worker who EVER had a paper route.
stephen

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I had a paper route for a few years. Made $40 a month doing it too. I certainly don't see kids doing it any more though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts