Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the questions you ask prospective employees?

What kinds of answers you are looking for that tell you more about what type of employee they might make?

·
Registered
618 Posts
This is what I would do.....

#1 After the interview, show him around the office or if its your home..walk him out to his/her car...then you'll see. If his car has mechanical defects or is a mess on the inside, that would describe the prospect.

#2 during the interview, see if he's wearing a watch on his wrist. that's a hint on his ability to keep time.....

#3 offer him refreshments...make a point to leave only two bags of chips on the table..one is cheetahs..the other is vingar chips, include some napkins and a few sodas for him to choose. watch if he wipes his fingers with a napkin or on his clothes.

#4 ask/talk about cellphones....ask if he have a iphone, blackberry or reg. phone. If he's got a iphone... his application automatically goes to the bottom of the pile because last thing i need is a txt'n bastard not working.

·
Century Man
134 Posts
Question #1- Describe for me the most significant impact you’ve had in your current job and explain the keys to pulling it off.

Question #2- One of our objectives is to increase sales by 20 percent next year. Can you name for me the most relevant experience you’ve had doing something similar in the past?

Question #3- One of our goals is to get each of our salespeople up to an average monthly sales count of $62,500.00. If you got the job how would you go about accomplishing this?

Question #4- We expect anyone working for us to make some mistakes and cost us money. Name for me the most significant mistake you’ve made in any job and what you learned from it.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
#1 Do you have transportation?
Yes you have to ask even though it was the first thing listed in the ad!(One guy said he had a bicycle!)

#2 What kind of experience do you have? When looking for framers, I get a lot of handyman/do it all types. They rattle off a long list not including framing. When pressed, they always say, Oh yeah, I've done a lot of that!

#3 Give me a phone number where I can reach you. I actually hired a guy, told him I would call him back with directions to the job, and couldn't reach him at the two numbers he provided. Finally called me back about 3 days later. No thanks dude!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Question #1- Describe for me the most significant impact you’ve had in your current job and explain the keys to pulling it off.

Question #2- One of our objectives is to increase sales by 20 percent next year. Can you name for me the most relevant experience you’ve had doing something similar in the past?

Question #3- One of our goals is to get each of our salespeople up to an average monthly sales count of $62,500.00. If you got the job how would you go about accomplishing this?

Question #4- We expect anyone working for us to make some mistakes and cost us money. Name for me the most significant mistake you’ve made in any job and what you learned from it.

My response to all four of these questions: "Hire me and find out".

Seriously. I abhor questions like this. In other words, the person interviewing me is looking for free strategies and ideas, not looking to hire someone. If you interview 25 people and ask them all these 4 questions, you have 100 ideas on how to improve your bottom line. 50 of them will be worthless, 40 will ones you've already tried, and the remaining 10 percent are great ideas you just got without spending any money on a consultant.

Reactions: JamesKB2

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Last time I interviewed 13 people for one position. Only one met my requirements. Here are some of them -

1- Do you have a C of Q in Carpentry?
2- WHMS Certificate
3- First Aid Certificate
4- Fall Arrest Certificate
5- Police Clearance Certificate

If they have all of these, then they are serious about what they do for a living, not a hack. Then all you need is a reasonable temperment, and away you go. Treat them fairly, pay them what they are worth, and you will likely get a loyal, serious employee, who looks out for the best for you on the site.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
2- WHMS Certificate
3- First Aid Certificate
Add Powder-Actuated Tools to that list.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts

I've never heard of such a thing. :eek:
Here in Ontario, anyone who will be dealing with the public is usually required by their prospective employer to get a Police Clearance Certificate. This means the police have run their name for any outstanding warrants, etc. and states that the person is "clear" of such things.

They just go to the local detatchment, and they will do it for about $20. Takes about two days. Of course if they are wanted, they probably won't go. :laughing: Just let's me know they are likely a stand up guy. You don't want a convicted theif in your customers homes now do ya.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
#1 After the interview, show him around the office or if its your home..walk him out to his/her car...then you'll see. If his car has mechanical defects or is a mess on the inside, that would describe the prospect.
Guess I'll never work for you because I spend 3 hours a day driving, my car is a mess. It gets me where I need to go but beyond that, I'll never invest anything else in it because it is a tool that will be used and abused until I can not abuse or use it anymore. Then I replace it. Just like all my tools.

#2 during the interview, see if he's wearing a watch on his wrist. that's a hint on his ability to keep time.....
I have a cellphone with a clock on it. Since I started carrying it, I stopped wearing a watch. Why have two?

#3 offer him refreshments...make a point to leave only two bags of chips on the table..one is cheetahs..the other is vingar chips, include some napkins and a few sodas for him to choose. watch if he wipes his fingers with a napkin or on his clothes.
Too many carbs. Have to respectfully decline. Got any meat to eat?

#4 ask/talk about cellphones....ask if he have a iphone, blackberry or reg. phone. If he's got a iphone... his application automatically goes to the bottom of the pile because last thing i need is a txt'n bastard not working.
I'll agree with you here. Anything more then a cellphone and I'd drop the application in the trash. I'd go one step further and ask him what app's he has on his phone. If he has all the extras, texting, internet, games, I'd dump 'em.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,657 Posts
Last time I interviewed 13 people for one position. Only one met my requirements. Here are some of them -

2- WHMS Certificate
3- First Aid Certificate

If they have all of these, then they are serious about what they do for a living, not a hack. Then all you need is a reasonable temperment, and away you go. Treat them fairly, pay them what they are worth, and you will likely get a loyal, serious employee, who looks out for the best for you on the site.

Guess I've been a hack for over 15 years now.

I don't know what a c of q is
I don't know what a WHMS certificate is
I don't have a first aid certificate, but have a lifeguard certificate
don't have a fall certificate but have the equip and know how to use it, was shown in a 20 min course
don't know what a police certificate is.

20 years in the business and all these years I've been a hack. Imagine that.:party:

·
Registered
139 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Man, some of the questions on qualifications just crack me up.

This is just so much "important management" sitting around thinking crap up to self aggrandize their position.

Three things I want.

1. Neat, clean and courteous. If you can't tell that in an interview, you're not management material.
2. Intelligent, but not a rocket scientist. Simple math skills, problem solving skills. I don't hire engineers. Emotional stability fits here too.
3. Physical ability to do the job. Simple enough to qualify with a "past / present" injury report they certify. Skill set matched to what I am asking them to do, or what I believe I can train them to do.

The rest is training and oversight. Sheesh..... This is an entry level requirement for laborer / apprentice. If it's a higher position, then of course there are more qualifying questions!

I agree with 480Sparky, if you ask me questions like that for prequalifications, you're a donkey's rear half. Post your position with demands on CL. Oh, and pay $8 an hour too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Qualifications I find desireable:

1. Pulse
2. Drivers License
3. Insurable

Bout all you get for $15 to $18 an hour around here.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Man, some of the questions on qualifications just crack me up.

This is just so much "important management" sitting around thinking crap up to self aggrandize their position.

Three things I want.

1. Neat, clean and courteous. If you can't tell that in an interview, you're not management material.
2. Intelligent, but not a rocket scientist. Simple math skills, problem solving skills. I don't hire engineers. Emotional stability fits here too.
3. Physical ability to do the job. Simple enough to qualify with a "past / present" injury report they certify. Skill set matched to what I am asking them to do, or what I believe I can train them to do.

The rest is training and oversight. Sheesh..... This is an entry level requirement for laborer / apprentice. If it's a higher position, then of course there are more qualifying questions!

I agree with 480Sparky, if you ask me questions like that for prequalifications, you're a donkey's rear half. Post your position with demands on CL. Oh, and pay $8 an hour too.
I agree.Most people can BS their way trough an interview and say the things the interviewer wants to hear.And you can miss out on a lot of good people by not considering them for things like not wearing a watch,the vehicle they drive and stuff like that.In this business we are working with construction workers,not white collar pencil pushers.Some can be a little rough around the edges but are great people/workers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree.Most people can BS their way trough an interview and say the things the interviewer wants to hear.And you can miss out on a lot of good people by not considering them for things like not wearing a watch,the vehicle they drive and stuff like that.In this business we are working with construction workers,not white collar pencil pushers.Some can be a little rough around the edges but are great people/workers.
Some of THE BEST people that I have hired were "rough around the edges". Most people want a chance, they have blind spots in their view, and with a little coaching, you can solve some of their problems. This applies to people that WANT to work and do well. I've found that the majority WANT this, they just haven't had somebody take the time to help them achieve it. The best siding guy I ever had was in a lousy marriage. His wife had a meth problem. He lost his car.

I witnessed to him, gave him a car to use for a month (I had a third car as a spare) and got him to go to county counseling and work with his wife.

How'd it turn out? His wife couldn't kick it, he got a divorce and moved in with his mom. He found a better path and is a productive worker in the trades. Now, most people wouldn't help this guy. I got a few people that told me to steer clear of him. But I empathized because I was a kid in a bad spot once too, and somebody reached out to me.....

To this day, if I call him, and he's open, he's there. With a big handshake and a knowing smile for me when we meet.

Diamonds are coal.......

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Ask trade specfic questions...ask for demonstrations...

Talk is cheap...

as a carpenter, I'd have a 2x6, speed square, and a pencil on the table and ask the person to lay out a birds'-mouth for a 4/12 pitch on a 2x6 wall. Questions and comments woud be welcome...

drywall finishing.... have some joint compound, pan, knife, and a piece of board and ask the person to show their style...

either case, you'll know in an instant whether or not the person you're interviewing has experience.

·
Banned
538 Posts
This is what I would do.....

:laughing:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I don't do any hiring, but every year, we get a new guy or two....I don't care what someone drives or how they dress, tools are cool (doesn't mean much), but I hate wasting my time with someone who doesn't know the fundmentals but talked a good game to get a job.

If someone can't read a speed square, then I would like to know that beforehand... and then I'll show them if they are willing to learn. Otherwise thet person is going to be running a shovel. 9 Xs out of ten that's when the attitude problems start.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts